costco any melbournites checked it out?

I"m wondering about what bargains it has but dont know if i'm wondering enough to actually go there.

Francine.

i'm not in melb - but apparently costco & aldi both not coming to WA because of our completely sh*t trading hours regulations.

yay....

Geez, how bad are you're trading hours?

Aldi has short trading hours, like 5-6pm on normal days and 8-9pm on thursday's?

Geez, how bad are you're trading hours?

Aldi has short trading hours, like 5-6pm on normal days and 8-9pm on thursday's?

Perth trading hours are a joke.

1 day of late night trading.
All day Saturday.
1/2 day Sunday in Perth and Fremantle only - rest of areas closed.

Some other areas are open Sundays on school holidays or Sunday and Monday on a long weekend. Rest shut.

Country towns well the smaller ones....Saturday morning only.

Of course the above is on top of Monday - Friday trading 9-5.30ish

I"m wondering about what bargains it has but dont know if i'm wondering enough to actually go there.

Francine.

Hi Francine
I am from Perth but was in Melb on business and with all the media hype decided to check out Costco.
Apparently to purchase any goods you need to be a member I think it was $60 pa.

I was so not impressed. Checked out computers and other goods did not see any real bargains.

Many people buying up big, perhaps they saw something I didn't.

Cheers, MTR

The story tonight was that about 8000 people have paid the membership which has exceeded Coscos expectations. Toilet paper was the biggest seller and some price comparisons on these and a few other general food items showed BIG savings. Didn't mention electronics and other stuff though.

Olly

Well Costco is coming to Adelaide :).

Just down the road from me in fact.

Just curious what peoples experiences are a few years down the track?

Anyone shop there, or choose not to, and why?

I refuse to pay $60 just to shop somewhere. But in saying that, a friend has a membership and I went as his 'guest'. Much to my suprise I was pretty impressed by it. There was a lot of cheap everything - groceries, outdoor settings, jewellery, kayaks etc etc. If I lived closer to the city I probably would have a membership but because I PT it to work carrying a pallet of toilet paper home on the train would be a bit of a pain in the ****.

I joined the one in Canberra about 6 months ago - have been a few times and not really impressed.

The fresh premade meals such as the pizzas, curries etc are great.

However I found a grocery type shop there incredibly expensive. I had bill shock at the checkout. I found that the small incidental items that I dont pay much attention to in a normal shop such as toilet paper, toothpaste etc ended up costing me a lot in one hit.

Afterwards I compared to Woolies/Coles and didnt find much difference overall.

We were having a party and I bought alot of the soft drinks there, however again I found I could have bought them cheaper at Woolies.

I went there once (as a guest). You can get savings only on the bulk items. I bought a large box of Huggies nappies. They costed as much as outside 'sale' price.

Being a single guy I'm not really their target audience, but given I can walk there I joined up. As others have said, you do need to know your prices as on the grocery stuff I buy there is little difference to Safeway and less choice. But in the last year I've bought a DAB radio and TV there, paying a lot less than anywhere else would have charged - TV (Sony 40HX750) was $580, $827 at HN.

westminster, apparently we're getting Aldi's too, but I have no detail on those.

Shame about the disappointing feedback on the Costcos.

Regardless, it will be good for this particular area as it is unused rail yards that are an eyesore that they'll be building on.

A new Bunnings has just gone up and they have plans to build a K Mart in the near future too.

All good news for those with IP's in the inner North.

I'm also in Canberra and I've had a different experience to Nemo. I signed up before it opened (got caught up in all the hype) and hubby and I go there around once a month and stock up mainly on toilet paper, paper towel, cat food, up 'n' gos and some of their meat. For us the saving on these items is worth the membership alone. I very rarely see woolies or coles get down to the same prices on cat food even when on sale. They also have my hubby's fave jeans, the Levi's 501's for about half the price of Just Jeans ($45 compared to $120). Again, that covers the cost of membership as he goes through a pair a year.

I think it's great. There's only the two of us and two cats and I still find value from my membership.

Back