Cosy, nestled in, quick paint job etc...

Some of my pet hates regarding Real estate Agent Lingo like Cosy, cute and quaint. The reality is small and undesirable.

What about the overused 'Nestled'? There's gotta be a better word surely?!

Suitable for first home buyers, investors etc... - I'm neither of these and might still buy it, so why presume you know better? :rolleyes:

My pet peeve=

Quick paint job. :eek:
No such thing in my book. No paint job's quick nor easy. Just getting the job ready is a pain in the &*^%, and I do it all the time!

There's plenty more I'm sure I can't think of just now. Anyone? :)

"sort after"
Do you loathe this because it's over-used, or because it should be "sought after"?

I'm in the latter camp - poor spelling and grammar are pet peeves. I know we all make mistakes, but if you're spending your client's money on advertising, a professional would get somebody else to PROOFREAD. If they've done a sloppy job of preparing the ad, what else have they done sloppily?

Both. the fact that its spelled incorrectly and is everywhere with the wrong spelling.

I agree entirely with the rest of your post. Incredibly unprofessional. Lets not talk about the standard of photography in the majority of listings. :eek:

Do you loathe this because it's over-used, or because it should be "sought after"?

I'm in the latter camp - poor spelling and grammar are pet peeves. I know we all make mistakes, but if you're spending your client's money on advertising, a professional would get somebody else to PROOFREAD. If they've done a sloppy job of preparing the ad, what else have they done sloppily?

I'm with Ozperp.

If a RE company can't write a advertisement with correct spelling and grammar, what chance is there of their being able to fill out other paperwork correctly?
Marg

My house is a cute cozy cottage :D

I'm saving up to build me a less cozy one.

Nonetheless, I'm sure someone with less kids and less junk would really think my house is most sort after.

i cannot stand misspellings either ... but i really wish the agents would fill out the block size field on realestate.com!

i cannot stand misspellings either ... but i really wish the agents would fill out the block size field on realestate.com!
There is a vacant block 3 doors down from my house that is for sale. I'd seen the ad before but hadn't actually recognised it as *that* block until I bothered to look really closely and recognised a tree in the background.

The advert lacks:

- land size
- frontage and depth
- STREET ADDRESS

But has numerous photos of the shed that just happens to be on the block.

Unsurprisingly this one has been for sale for a rather long time while the vacant block opposite it sold in about 2 weeks. THAT one had the address and size on it, but no shed to distract the agent.

It is surprisingly common for agents in small towns to not bother putting street addresses on internet listings, they expect all their sales to come from in-person contact where they can drive you there to look. That agent doesn't bother with block sizes on houses either. You rarely get enough photos, and when you do they tend to bias heavily towards photos of the shed. I could go on and on ...

That same agent also has the listing for *my* house, he's the agent with the most listings out here and he's local. He charges around 5% commission. How hard is it to set up your own real estate agency anyway? I swear I could do a much better job than most of the local agents.

i agree there are a lot of over used terms.. but description writting can be very difficult! especially if there isn't much to write about which is often the case in a 'cute and cosy' place. Not only is there an issue with coming up with descriptive words.... the old f7 is great, but sometimes it just doens't bring up the right alternatives. The other things is when you are writting descriptions which are going to be seen side by side in a window display or newspaper advert it is important that they dont all use the same words... after all they are all different properties.

Yes there are some fluffy words, used to make things sound more appealing.. but the purpose is to generate interest... and most of the better agents have moved away from many over used terms.. such as cosy, as people have an assumption that it means small and has negative conatations.

i always wondered what happened to the F7 key when posting on re.com - now i know.

here's one - "light 'n' bright" - in other words, it's all white inside and has a window in every room....wow.

I hate that too. You see a house, sounds good, THEN you find out it's on 350sq block as it's been subdivided.

In areas of high investor interest I can't believe they don't put strata costs etc. Even OO need that ifo anyway. Some agents don't even know when you ask them.
It can be very frustrating. Up the top might say 3 bed then in the description it says 2 bed. I mean how hard can it be.

I went to some open homes earlier this year. for 2 weeks the brochures had the same date. They had a booklet with all their properties in it, which they handed out at open homes. I missed a week then went on the following week. The month had now changed but STILL the date was the same. I told the agent it had been the same date for a month.:eek: At first she didn't believe me but I had the old ones in my folder. She quickly rang the office.

......"Steep to overhanging'.....

I'm not sure if that phrase has ever been really used in a real estate add for a rough and steep grazing block, but it certainly gets used in a jokingly way by farmers to describe a rough and steep patch of dirt.

See ya's.

Spacious.

I hate the word spacious in a RE ad. I had a toe to toe with an agent a month ago as they described a local 1 bedder unit, 1 block back from the beach as "spacious" (of course no actual measurement was given) so I happily went along to the first inspection.

Apparently 40sqm is "spacious" to this RE. Also the "new built in wardrobe" wasn't even in the bedroom, it was in the LOUNGE ROOM.

Yep, I get out of the shower and then go and get dressed in the lounge room all the time, especially as this was where the floor to ceiling windows are that let in the light for the entire unit.

Spacious is an overused and over abused word....

Luvvit

"renovate or detonate".......a block of land...

But the price is always higher than land value.....:rolleyes:
There's one of those in the next street to mine (I can see its roof from my front porch).

Its had the price reduced now from over twice vacant land value to now just under twice vacant land value ... you'd have to be totally insane to buy THAT at the asking price :rolleyes: Still have to apply to get it demolished, and the bloody ad has "historical landmark" written all over it! Talk about scaring developers off.

It is described as "in need of modernisation". It needs ... a bathroom :eek: Serious, its got a camp shower (a plastic bag with a rosette on it) hanging on a hook in a tin shed.

Inspected a house on the weekend...

Ad states - New Kitchen and renovated Bathroom!!

Reality - Kitchen had a quick and awful door paint job, with one of the doors actually falling off :eek: and, talk about filthy!!

Bathroom was probably renovated...sometime in the late 80's I'd say, looking at the yellow and blue tiles.

What about 'Open to inspect', but no address! Wait, I'll just get my psychic senses going, so I'll know what house to look for.:)

Back