could anyone tell me...(a structure)

Could anyone tell me why the ceiling just above the window goes down (see photo). Thanks


  • ceiling 1.JPG
    ceiling 1.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 94
it's called a bulkhead.

it's used when the wall is pushed out "under the eaves" to maintain the same gutter height outside and avoid complicating the roof structure.
hard to tell from the photo but is it dipping to the left? if so, is there any water or leakages going into the bulkhead?