Could mods move the property investment - other section back to the top

its throwing me off. Its the first section I view (and probably most important in general) so makes it easier if it was back in its old position as top link in "Property Investment Discussion" section. stops having to scroll down and all that other nonsence

I thought the same thing. Actually, was wondering why the change.

Is there a reason for the format change?

Not a massive deal in the big scheme of things, just used to reading that section first,

Regards
Marty

Yes, I also hate it when they move the cheese........however, like Sniff and Scurry we will adapt and survive.

(and probably most important in general)

As previously mentioned - please see this thread: http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45835

One of the reasons it was moved was because of exactly the reason you mentioned - people are starting to consider the general discussion area as being the "most important" - where that should not be the case.

The general topic is NOT for posting "important" threads and threads which are posted in other topics are NOT any less important than those posted in the general topic. General is just for those things which don't fit in the other topics.

Please make an effort to start threads in the correct topic areas - as you can see, we've had to move dozens of threads out of the general area of late.

Makes sense to me.
Also, by putting the general section below all the other specific sections means that a thread poster looks at the specific sections first, and is more likely to post their topic in the correct section rather than in the general section, just because that was the first section they saw.

I agree with the sentiments so far expressed. Why was the general section moved when there was no need to?

Please move it back to the top as this is the section that most users and readers would go to when they go to the forum.

When I log on, I click on "new posts" and it brings up any post that has been added to or started since I last looked in.

So I never go to the start page. For those that go to the start page, do you then click on each section to see what has been added?

I agree with the sentiments so far expressed. Why was the general section moved when there was no need to?

Please move it back to the top as this is the section that most users and readers would go to when they go to the forum.

I agree, I like it it the way it was :(

I argue there is a need for "general discussion" - it's fantastic to have and why I visit the forum so much!! :D - while I definitely agree specific questions should go in their appropriate sections, why should the whole forum be changed (by removing the most popular and informative section) for a few bad posters? :(

Cheers,
Jen

The general discussion wasn't removed - it was just moved down the list a bit. It's still there and you can still read it and post in it as usual. You should also be reading the other sections too!

The general discussion wasn't removed - it was just moved down the list a bit. It's still there and you can still read it and post in it as usual. You should also be reading the other sections too!

It's not called "general" anymore. It's now "other" as though it is peripheral to our discussions when, in fact, some of the most interesting and important topics are listed here.

when, in fact, some of the most interesting and important topics are listed here.

See, that's a misunderstanding we are trying to avoid and correct. There are no topics which are more or less important than others. Finance is a critical part of investing, as is accounting and tax, where to buy, property management and all the other topics.

The whole forum is important, not just some of the threads which don't fit into one of the other discussion areas (which is what the "general" topic was originally intended for).

We have been a bit lax in moving threads from the general forum to where they should have been posted, which has lead some newer members to believe that this is where all the discussion takes place and hence where they should be posting. That was never the intention, and was never the case in the early days.

If you look at the general forum after I've moved the threads to where they should have been posted, there are actually relatively few discussions in that forum - and many of those will be moved when we create a new discussion topic (I'll get to that later today hopefully).

I suggest you try the "New Posts" and "Today's Posts" search features to make keeping track of updated threads easier.

The forum also marks which topics have new posts in them, and you can mark all topics as being read if you aren't interested in the other topics.

I do, all the time! :D But they're specific. What was "Property - General" was perfect for those general discussions about property (which is why the threads were so great - alot of the best threads are general in nature). I agree the General Section shouldn't be the place that all the "best threads" should be - it's just that the best threads happen to end up there because they are, infact, "general".

"Property - other" just doesn't seem like it will have the same effect :(

Just my thoughts - I think a few newbies not understanding the posting rules shouldn't change the forum.

Cheers,
Jen

Just get on with it, it doesn't matter.:D

People will stick general questions into the "other" section.

Regards
Graeme

I would like to register a formal protest at the splintering of the forum.

I used to only have to check 3 different areas to keep track of threads that I am interested in. Now I have to check 8 different areas. Especially when I spend half my time on the forum on a blackberry it really slows me down.

While I understand that having neatly categorised forums (a place for everything and everything in its place) appeals to people's inner librarian it is also destructive of community.

Each area will now move much slower because the forum is too fragmented. People will lose interest because it is too complex to navigate. Also modding with too heavy a hand can kill a forum. This forum has become too splintered and needs to be reconsolidated.

The general discussion forum was the most important forum because it was the heart of the community. The coffee lounge is now trying to substitute - but its too slow moving and theres not much about property actually in there so the good discussions dont get going.

Bring back the community - bring back property general.

I would like to register a formal protest at the splintering of the forum.

The forum hasn't changed - it has always been this way. There have been no structural changes to the forum in a couple of years now, so I'm not sure how you believe the forum has become splintered ?

Would you prefer all threads be posted in the one forum topic? ie remove all other topics and ONLY have "general" ?

The general discussion forum was the most important forum because it was the heart of the community.

It is still there. You can still post there. It has been renamed "other" to encourage people to post threads in the correct topics.

I used to only have to check 3 different areas to keep track of threads that I am interested in. Now I have to check 8 different areas. Especially when I spend half my time on the forum on a blackberry it really slows me down.

Which threads are you interested in? Which areas did you check?

If you aren't interested in threads which are in (for example), "Accounting and Tax", then how would consolidating all threads into one or two topics help you keep track of the threads you are interested in?

Have you tried the "New Posts" or "Today's Posts" search?

Did you know you can subscribe to be notified of new threads using RSS or via email?

Buying/Selling Process is a new forum that cuts into the content of "Property - General"

Removing "Property - General" from the top of the forum de-emphasises that area which means that forumites no longer have a central gathering place.

I already receive about 300 emails per day - Im happy just to check the boards :)

Im aware of "new posts" and "new threads" search but pulls up all areas - Im only interested in about half the content on the board.

Really I would be happy with just bringing back property general and giving forumites a central home again.

Im aware of "new posts" and "new threads" search but pulls up all areas - Im only interested in about half the content on the board.

How about if I was to install an add-on to the forums which allows you to stop certain topics from appearing in the "new posts" search (something I had been considering doing) ?

That would pretty much solve your information overload problems and give you a single source you can go to for updates.

Back