Could the RESPECT tax split the nation?

the federation seems to be becoming a greater failure by the day. Barnett has raised the issue of seccession again here:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa/7268756/man-the-barricades-barnett/

and there is some serious resentment to all the federalisation and asset stripping from the resource states (not dissimilar to how england plundered the world and built London to the great place it is today). The last referendum on seccession voted in favour of it and I have to say I think it would pass again. Thre are economic reasons that would certainy validate it too. If a line were drawn from Adelaide across to Sydney, those financial and service centres coul dhave IR settings more relevant to those activiities. (tho adelaide shoul dprobably sit on th eother side of the line). The mining state to the north west could then have more effective monetary policy.

thoughts? could aussie apathy ever be so significantly shaken?

I think its the West Australian raising the issue of seccession not barnett. And for the sake of sensationalism, not because it's a realistic option.

It's so difficult to get WA to change anything, but I think you're right, this one could get through if it were up to the people of WA.

Funny the divide that WA people feel from the rest of the nation. Those greedy eastern staters trying to get their grubby mits on our resources. How dare they.

Perth is a sleepy mining town that struck it rich, to me it feels like a bigger version of mandurah. I'm not sure that its ready to move out of home just yet.

Funny the divide that WA people feel from the rest of the nation. Those greedy eastern staters trying to get their grubby mits on our resources. How dare they.

Sandgropers aren't the only ones protective of their wealth and jobs. Why else would Vic insist on burning brown coal when (given time) they could import electricity from other cleaner sources?

I remember in Sydney's heyday when banking ruled how NSW resented (screamed blue murder, actually) the grants commission giving Qld some extra cash to build infra-structure to handle the southerners abandoning their state.

There is a lot of stupidity spoken about turning rivers south to water the southern farming lands. No one considers it may be simpler to just grow the rice in the north because that would shift jobs north too. BTW If Vic imported electricity it would relieve some of their water woes because power stations use a lot of water.

So I'm with WA. This rip off trying to prop up the SE is theft.

Next northern WA will secede since that's where all the natural resources are. People 1000 km away in Perth don't really have a right to it, only those who live locally. The greedy southerns need to keep their hands off.....

sure why not? the 26th parallel is a good border - it is for fruit already.

If Barnett gets his way then Karratha will be the NW "capital" so if they want to secede then good on em, I know where' i'll be buying up if they do.

Back