Council approval to build units?

Hi All,

I've found a vacant block on realestate.com.au that I'd like to buy and build units on. The fact that it ISN'T plastered with "STCA" everywhere tells me that I probably can't build units on it. But, my question is, how can I find out for sure?

I'm guessing I speak to the council, but who at the council? Do I have to apply or something? Or can they just tell me on the spot?

Anyone who has gone through this please feel free to contribute.

Cheers,
Brad

Hi Brad,

Don't assume that just because a re.com advert does not have STCA all over it, that, that can be considered anything - it can't. Just as I have seen "subdivideable STCA" all over an advert for a property, and on further investigation was never going to happen because it did not meet the most basic of council's requirements for sub-division.

You'll need to see what the land is zoned as. You can do this by looking at the contract of sale (ask the agent for a copy) or calling the local council and asking there. The front desk staff will know who to direct you to.

You'll need a zoning for units not straight resi housing.

Hi Brad,

Don't assume that just because a re.com advert does not have STCA all over it, that, that can be considered anything - it can't. Just as I have seen "subdivideable STCA" all over an advert for a property, and on further investigation was never going to happen because it did not meet the most basic of council's requirements for sub-division.

You'll need to see what the land is zoned as. You can do this by looking at the contract of sale (ask the agent for a copy) or calling the local council and asking there. The front desk staff will know who to direct you to.

You'll need a zoning for units not straight resi housing.

Hi Propertunity,

I'd say the land is zoned as straight resi. On re.com.au it says "Property Type: Residential Land".

Thanks for your help.

Brad

If it's in Victoria go to http://www.dpcd.vic.gov.au/planning and click on 'view an online planning map' on the right hand side. Follow the instructions to produce a planning report.

On the planning report you'll see the overlays that give you the restriction. Zoning with no overlay is the best. Ask for a copy of the section 32 and check the title to make sure there is no easement, etc.

RZ1 is the the highest density currently but under review. If there are overlays you can follow the link from the planning report for the description of the overlay.

Check the surrounds for similar developments that you're thinking of. If there are units already existing, it increases the chances of your application being approved.

The person to ask council is the town planner. If you do the application yourself, chances are your application might take 12 - 24 months before being approved. If you use a good private town planner, they might be able to get approval between 6 - 18 months depending on how good they are.

Check the slope of the land. Rule of thumb, the more incline, the more expensive it will be to subdivide/develop. Personally, I wouldn't bother with land with a 30 degree drop, but that's just me.

What would be some basic requirements? I've looked on some council websites but couldn't find anything.

They vary from council to council, but relate to:
Minimum block size of the newly created block.
Minimum frontage of the block to be subdivided.
Minimum set backs for construction.
Storm water disposal. etc.

And all of this is on many of the council's websites - but their search facility means I often can't find it and need to ring council for the actual link :rolleyes:

If it's in Victoria go to http://www.dpcd.vic.gov.au/planning and click on 'view an online planning map' on the right hand side. Follow the instructions to produce a planning report.

On the planning report you'll see the overlays that give you the restriction. Zoning with no overlay is the best. Ask for a copy of the section 32 and check the title to make sure there is no easement, etc.

RZ1 is the the highest density currently but under review. If there are overlays you can follow the link from the planning report for the description of the overlay.

Check the surrounds for similar developments that you're thinking of. If there are units already existing, it increases the chances of your application being approved.

The person to ask council is the town planner. If you do the application yourself, chances are your application might take 12 - 24 months before being approved. If you use a good private town planner, they might be able to get approval between 6 - 18 months depending on how good they are.

Check the slope of the land. Rule of thumb, the more incline, the more expensive it will be to subdivide/develop. Personally, I wouldn't bother with land with a 30 degree drop, but that's just me.

Sometimes the zoning maps aren't updated. It took a few months for this latest rezone to appear on the online map (although we are in Darwin, and the planning department occasionally impersonate sloths). The only way to know for sure is to get your hands on the title document (which the seller/RE Agent will forward you at your request)

Now what did I just say about taking no notice of what the re.com advert said? :eek:

As Propertunity mentioned, I would be cautious of what the advertisement say. Even rpdata is not reliable when it comes to zoning.

I have my own criteria and resource when checking properties. I find there's a lot of properties that doesn't suit development specially when listed on re.com.au and even if it is, sellers are simply asking for too much or there's too much competition for the site that drives the price up.

Sometimes the zoning maps aren't updated. It took a few months for this latest rezone to appear on the online map (although we are in Darwin, and the planning department occasionally impersonate sloths). The only way to know for sure is to get your hands on the title document (which the seller/RE Agent will forward you at your request)

Zoning maps are pretty much updated most of the time but a quick check with the council to verify wouldn't hurt.

In regards to the title document, the section 32 that I mentioned comes with a copy of the title, together with other reports from referral authorities. The RE agents email it most of the time.

Now what did I just say about taking no notice of what the re.com advert said? :eek:

ahah - so true :)

There are many different type of Residential zoning.
If it's residential zone B - then this means it's medium density and hence you have a possibility of building a block of 2-3. But every council is different so give them a call and speak to the local town planner ( it's free )

Regards
Michael

Back