Council Approvals (Perth)

I'm considering purchasing a property in the Gosnells area which has recently just had $30,000 taken off the asking price. I've had a strong indication that both the patio and shed are not council approved. This information has come from the RE agent himself.

The patio is full length and about 4 to 6m wide in some parts, the shed is 6x6m and powered.

I'm wondering what others peoples experiences are in regards to purchasing a property with additions that aren't council approved. What outcome am I likely to expect?

Am I likely to expect to be asked to remove the additions if the council finds they aren't approved (and possibly incur large fines) or would the council give me an opportunity to get the approval conducted at my own cost before removing it?

I do understand that rulings may change from council to council and case to case, but any advice will be appreciated.

If the additions look like a good job, then retrospective approval shouldn't be difficult if site cover issues aren't breached. By the sounds of it, you're on a bigger block so I daresay it sounds okay there.

Min head height clearance is 2.0m from any beam to the floor level immediately under. This tends to be the biggest issue, but if paved then you can generally just re - lay the paving a little lower to suit.

You need to speak to a certifier for a BA20 form to keep things easy.

If you're concerned, ask your conveyancer about title insurance. It covers illegal building works/structures so might be worth looking into if you're concerned.

Back