council auctions.

W

WebBoard

Hi All.

Has anyone had any experience with council auctions,ie sale of land for arrears of rates. As some of the conditions of auction are a bit of a concern such as.

As council is the seller and not the vendor,it is unable to authorise inspections of the property.

Vacant possession of the property is the responsibility of the successful purchaser.

I think it might be asking for trouble, would be interested in your thoughts.

Regards Rob.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Hiya Rob

Theres some other issues that many may not be aware of. My memory says that government depts do not have the same rules of disclosure as private sellers.

Soo, you could have an M6 easement going through your place and the seller has no obligation to tell you.

Ta

Rolf

Reply: 1.1

I dont think they have much power to force a sale. In a property I purchased 2 months ago, as the new owner, I had to give the City of Wyndam (Werribee)a bank cheques for $3,500 for rate arrears of the previous owner. Thats 5 years worth.

Reply: 1.1.1

I've chased up several over the years. Most do not get to Auction as the thought of losing your house for 10k or so is incentive to pay the rates. Did get to one, a real feeding frenzy and over the top price paid for a unit. Missed another (stupidity) and missed a cheap cheap block of land. Many over the years just don't make it to the day.
Each council has different rules so check it out with your solicitor. It is strictly buyer beware with no access. It is a cash contract and can be cash on the day or 14 days for different councils. Any problems are your own as purchaser, be it a motorway or a squatter. Are sold free of encumbrances so the banks can jump (in Sth East QLD anyway - check your local guides)
Good luck and good prospering.

Rambada

Reply: 1.1.1.1

Hi Paul.

Yeh your right, of the twelve properties listed none got to auction.
Terms were 10% dep' settle 14 days, maybe next time.

Regards Rob.

Back