Council Stormwater drain damage

I live in Brisbane. I have recently discovered a large hole in my back yard. So large that i can stick the full length of a broom handle down it. I now believe that it may be the reason for the back end of my house beginning to drop. I believe it is the Council Storm water drain that runs beneath our property that is damaged.

I was considering building units on my property some time in the future.

I am not not sure what would be my first point of contact.

Do I bring it to my insurers attention? Do I notify the council? Should I get a ? Engineer in to confirm the problem before I do anything?
I just dont know where to start. If I am going to build units on it eventually it seems silly to put any effort into fixing the problem. I'd prefer the money to put toward the Engineers report that I will eventually have to pay for before unit development approval.

I would suggest contacting the council and getting them to have a look as to whether there is a hole in the pipe where dirt is being sucked in. As far as I am aware they are responsible for the drain pipes and as such should fix it.

As far as developing it is unlikely that you will be allowed to build over stormwater pipes without a lot of expensive bridging. You can build next to a stormwater pipe but only if the foundations go down below the curvature of the pipe.

Cheers

I would suggest contacting the council and getting them to have a look as to whether there is a hole in the pipe where dirt is being sucked in. As far as I am aware they are responsible for the drain pipes and as such should fix it.
Seconded. :)

Hey guys, we've just deal with this exact issue for a client of ours and I've written up a case study about it which will get published in the June issue of Renovating & Decorating mag.

The process of what we did was:
- get cctv footage below ground to show the crack/damage
- get engineers report of situation
- submitted both to insurance company
- application processed (insurance company spoke to builder/engineer re details)
- works approved to builder

The owner has to pay to fix the actual crack (plumbing), however we are fixing the brickwork, sunken foundations, rotten window, cracked plasterwork, etc that all resulted from this issue - all curtesy of insurance company paying.

Let me know if you need more info or if I can help in any way.

Wishing you every success, Ana

Are you sure it is a Council problem?

Why not check your property drainage plan first? It should show where the mains are located.

If you call in the council and it is your pipes at fault, they will probably bill you for their time.
Marg

As far as developing it is unlikely that you will be allowed to build over stormwater pipes without a lot of expensive bridging. You can build next to a stormwater pipe but only if the foundations go down below the curvature of the pipe.

Cheers

Thank you handyandy..... would you believe that this property was originally owned by a councillor who had a swimming pool built directly over the stormwater drain! Our property backs onto parkland and the stormwater drain entrance is not far from the back fence. A council worker could probably walk along inside it it is so huge, and view the damage if required. (We can see down the grates into the entrance of the drain).
The stormwater drain is on the low side of the property so I think it would have to be drawn up as waterflow area so we think it would only be good as a driveway. Do you think they'd allow a driveway over it?

- get cctv footage below ground to show the crack/damage
- get engineers report of situation

The owner has to pay to fix the actual crack (plumbing),

Thanks ana... Hmmm very interesting. I shall buy that magazine.
As i am a private homebuyer can i ask approximately how much the cctv footage cost and the engineers report? Because I imagine I will have to pay this up front if i have to go this way.

You say the owner has to pay to fix the actual crack but Im thinking that would be because the crack was caused through fault of theirs. I cant imagine us having to pay for the crack if we did not cause it. Please correct me if i am wrong. It is definately Council Stormwater Drain. Cant imagine how we could have caused the damage it just appeared over time.

Are you sure it is a Council problem?

Why not check your property drainage plan first? It should show where the mains are located.

If you call in the council and it is your pipes at fault, they will probably bill you for their time.
Marg

Thanks Marg

Yes I have checked the plans and the pipes are huge council stormwater pipes running across north west corner of property directly beneath our swimming pool would you believe. Even the brickwork around the pool is dropping. This property was originally owned by a councillor. I dont imagine the pool would have been approved to anyone else but someone who worked in council as i wouldnt think it would be allowed normally. I still have the original receipt for the swimming pool dating back to 1980 with the councillors signature on. Council might claim the pool has caused the problem then I will have to refer it back to their approval to build. Dont know how I will prove that though. Im just surmising I hope i am wrong.

Thanks Marg

Yes I have checked the plans and the pipes are huge council stormwater pipes running across north west corner of property directly beneath our swimming pool would you believe. Even the brickwork around the pool is dropping. This property was originally owned by a councillor. I dont imagine the pool would have been approved to anyone else but someone who worked in council as i wouldnt think it would be allowed normally. I still have the original receipt for the swimming pool dating back to 1980 with the councillors signature on. Council might claim the pool has caused the problem then I will have to refer it back to their approval to build. Dont know how I will prove that though. Im just surmising I hope i am wrong.
If that's the way the pipes are set,and btw that is very common in Brisbane prior 1980,it not a big problem depending on the area..
willair

Back