Courses - Investment/SMSF related

Hi,
Has anyone completed/completing any investment related courses that they could recommend?

I am considering whether one of the financial planner on-line courses would be useful to increase my understanding of investing generally but also looking at learning more about SMSF's.

Ideally the course would include property investment components especially around investing in property within a SMSF.

How about Graduate Certificate in Financial Planning.

Long distance mode.

3 Subjects out of:
FIN562 Risk Management and Insurance
FIN563 Estate Planning
FIN564 Superannuation and Retirement Planning
FIN567 Investing in Property
LAW545 Taxation Strategies

AND
FIN560 Financial Planning

Cost = $2,400 per 8 credit points. That is total of $10K.

All those courses are not very practical. Where you really learn stuff is the lawyer and account short course for CPD points - I am a member of http://www.tved.net.au/ which has some great podcasts, about 44 of them for around $770. Bit technical sometimes but good for the lay person too.

Hi,
Has anyone completed/completing any investment related courses that they could recommend?

I am considering whether one of the financial planner on-line courses would be useful to increase my understanding of investing generally but also looking at learning more about SMSF's.

Ideally the course would include property investment components especially around investing in property within a SMSF.

Can't help you with any courses, however the following is a great thread on buying property through SMSF with leverage:

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54235&highlight=smsf

As for property investing, scour this forum. There is much excellent content.

Basic and fairly easy to understand information can also be obtained relatively cost efficiently through say, The Eureka Report that covers many different investment classes and entities. Also joining the Australian Investors Association is relatively inexpensive and they have a comprehensive archive list of resources that you will have access to as well as ongoing information via emails, meetings/events and conferences/seminars.

I am not wishing to put you off more formal avenues of attaining the knowledge, however my suggestions above may be a good place to start.

Back