Cover Ceiling with new Ceiling & Cornicing

Hi all,

Just want some opinions on covering the current ceiling on my second storey townhouse.

The current material looks horrible as seen in the pics. People who look through to rent are all turned off by it. Its some 70's style material.

I got quotes to cover about 74SQM for $2800 which includes the gyprock, cornicing and sanding. Two whole days work, Ive used these people before.
Also I got a quote to just do the hallway and bathroom which look the worst which is 17SQM $750.

I will just need to paint it once done.

Does this seem like a good idea? I believe it should add value as well as attract more tenants.

Attachments

• 20141122_164916.jpg
    20141122_164916.jpg
    493.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 20141122_164929.jpg
    20141122_164929.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 91
that looks like canite softboard material..it was used for insulation and also sound insultaion....cheap altrnative used instead of plaster.

I think you can also get a form of paint for it as well and just paint over it white..however..if there is any sag in it...you need to pull it down..plaster will bow over time...

Hey Westminister,

Thanks for that, I didn't know you knew where the property was?

I'll get them to do the whole top floor then, they are starting Saturday. I'm spending about $5-6K all up to pretty up the place and get it revalued later down the track.

I found out a lot about the this property including the original builder from the 70's lives in the house next door. Who would of thought.

They are going to screw to the metal beams and the material as it is very solid.
I think its good to leave as it'll be good insulation.

Hey Westminister,

Thanks for that, I didn't know you knew where the property was?

I'll get them to do the whole top floor then, they are starting Saturday. I'm spending about $5-6K all up to pretty up the place and get it revalued later down the track.

I found out a lot about the this property including the original builder from the 70's lives in the house next door. Who would of thought.

I'm pretty sure I recognised the building from one of your photos. It might not be the one I'm thinking of, but I drive past something very similar on W Road.

Any plans for a pergola at the front to help with that fantastic afternoon blinding sun?

A good front wall wouldn't hurt one day either to help reduce the road noise.

I would like to fence the whole front of the property to make it into a backyard as the current backyard is tiny.

I haven't looked into it much in terms of price, council and if it'll be worth the value.

I never thought of a pergola out the front. What are you thinking?

I would like to fence the whole front of the property to make it into a backyard as the current backyard is tiny.

I haven't looked into it much in terms of price, council and if it'll be worth the value.

I never thought of a pergola out the front. What are you thinking?

Well seeing as it's not my money you could either:
a. rip off the balcony and make a big balcony that would provide shade underneath and alfresco
b. rip off balcony and put a simple flat roof pergola there
c. leave the balcony and just build a simple flat roof balcony around it

Council will generally allow it as long as it's within the setback areas. They should also allow a solid wall at the front - they often do if it's a main road to help with noise.

So talk about delays...

I wanted it done by wednesday at the latest, its so saturday and they have the bathroom left to do.
lucky i didnt have a tenant waiting for move in.

The material that it was going to be drilled into wasnt strong enough so had to organise floating rails throughout the top floor extra $700+

added a pic from the gyprock up a few days ago.
Been there twice today to checkout the progress it looks so nice and modern.

Had a person apply today and offer 6 months rent upfront and they are self employed.

Hopefully i can start painting myself in a couple days

Attachments

• 20141204_164907.jpg
    20141204_164907.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Can't see how that would ever be a 2 day job.

That stuff looked horrible. Like exposed water damaged chip board.

Good idea sheeting over it :)

Back