covering brick internal walls

yes - done my seach and came up with a thread from 2003. rather than revive it, i thought i'd see if there were any new suggestions.

the three suggestions on the thread were - bag for cheap rough finish, render which - at $40/m min - is rather expensive or gyprock by (i think) using stud adhesive to glue the plasterboard direct to the brick and moving the skirtings/cornices.

personally i think #3 would be best, but open to newer suggestions and personal success/disaster stories - "easiest methods for good results" type stuff.

next purchase is to be a older 2 bed unit in need of a cosmetic makeover. all the units i look at have ghastly brick internal walls throughout. i did think about just painting over the brick, but if i'm going to fix them up properly, then i'd better fix them up properly! but being small 2bed units, i'm not wanting to rob them of any more floor space than absolutely necessary.

example of what i'm looking at:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-nsw-adamstown-106856603

share away! :D

We've done #3 to cover up the ugly 80s mission brown brick walls in our place. But instead of adhesive, the plasterer attached metal strips vertically and then screwed the plasterboard to that. Not sure of his reasoning - whether it was quicker or more convenient.
The most time-consuming part of the job was putting up those metal bits. After that the plasterboard went up super-fast.
We had no skirtings to worry about - just more (very unattractive) shiny tiles. So went straight over that lot, and added ordinary skirtings around the bottom. Replaced the cornice at the top, and Bob's yer aunty.
Painted up a treat and looks fab - sooo much better than what was there.

Option #4 - Solid plaster.

Instead of plasterboard, it's a thin coat of render with a coat of whiteset plaster over the top. Not sure about the price compared to your other options but another option to investigate.

whatever u use Id suggest a square set wall to ceiling joint

If the places are small this will add more dimension of height and volume.

In addition, if you are using a white wall colour, try painitng the celig with flat of the same tinted colour, again seems to add volume to smaller rooms.

ta
rol

. But instead of adhesive, the plasterer attached metal strips vertically and then screwed the plasterboard to that. Not sure of his reasoning - whether it was quicker or more convenient.

Its called furring.

http://www.gyprock.com.au/page_content2.aspx?ForumType=gyprock&g=posts&t=114

Gyprock is the best solution, you can do it yourself and it's not so expensive but don't expect to be as good as the pros'. They do it sooo quick and neat, but the cost is just not justified. Hardest part is then having to do the cornice, but do like Rolf suggests.

for a rental property i would stick with render as its more durable than plasterboard with tenants moving furniture around it will stand up to the wear and tear much better..

if you dont like the finish of render you could consider white set plaster over the render which looks amazing imo but costs about $70-$80m2 (including the cement render 1st coat)

would only do white set if the property is high end though

Hi Lizzie

I've done both painting over and gyprocking in two separate properties. Gyprock looks far superior and really modernizes it. The unit I painted over also freshened it up but it still had that "cold" feel which never really leaves you... if you can afford to, I'd employ a great gyprocker (email me if you want the no. of a great Sydney one but I'd be guessing you'd be looking for a Newcastle contact?) Have fun :D

whatever u use Id suggest a square set wall to ceiling joint

If the places are small this will add more dimension of height and volume.

In addition, if you are using a white wall colour, try painitng the celig with flat of the same tinted colour, again seems to add volume to smaller rooms.

ta
rol

A new-ish cornice product called ShadowSet was brought out by CSR about 12 months ago. http://www.gyprock.com.au/our-products/products/cornice/gyprock-shadowset™-profile.aspx - It gives a different look, ... is easy to install and gives the impression of lifting the height of the walls and a feeling of space.

P9280314.jpg ShadowSet cornice on my reno. It has a 12mm recess on the outer edge.

I've just gyprocked and replaced cornice in all rooms plus lined over brick walls in a reno of a split level townhouse (I wanted to insulate all external/internal walls).

I used timber battens on the brick walls before lining with gyprock sheets, which worked fine. We needed a gap between the wall and the new gyprock sheet for power cables etc otherwise we would have stuck the sheets direct to brick walls. You can buy a powder masonary adhesive for the job that you mix with water and sets very quickly, but I can't remember the name of it.

Rolf is right about Square set. It looks neat and gives an open feeling, but it can be a problem if your walls and ceiling are not true or square. You will see every defect and wave in your ceiling and walls. Small section should be fine, but long runs could be a problem.

Try this CSR link ..... http://www.gyprock.com.au/myvisualiser.aspx It allows you to change cornice, light and colours on a lounge room at the click of a button to give you a realistic impression before you renovate. It is a brilliant tool for the renovator.

Mystery

Yep, that's it I think. Worked a treat. Took him quite a while to put up, but the plasterboard went up in less than half the time after that.
That was done nearly two years ago. We have one spot - near an unused door that we went straight over - that is showing some cracking. But we've put that down to the very wet winter after years of dry - the poor old house is just moving back as the water table rises.
It's a very thin crack - no more than 2mm across, I'd say. Some no more gaps, or whatever those products are called, would probably fill it. And our walls are nearly white, so we might not even have to paint over it. Haven't done it yet though ... it's not that bad and we're a bit lazy :D.

approximately how much does it cost to pay someone to gyprock a 2 bedroom unit?

i have a unit in magill (adelaide sa) that has all internal walls as exposed brick

I'd use Gyprock. I have done a similar reno before and I just glued it to the brick. In one room where the brick was not even, we used metal batons. It came up a treat.

I quite like the texture and look of just bagged or painted brickwork.

But it depends on the big picture - the look you want, where the room is, the overall general feel of the place. Bagged or painted doesn't look ultra contemporary.

Cheers,

showed hubby the picture of the shadow cornice in relation to our ppor - i love it.

problem is, we have to get on the same page - i'm currently thinking about replacing windows, flooring, cornices and skirtings whilst he's obsessed with the stairway and pergola.

Back