Craa

HI there i have a question i hope someone can answer.
Was in partnership with a friend (building)and let one of our small bills drag on for awhile $400.
We went our seperate ways (no animosity)he owed me $500 and i said to just pay that bill and we were square.
Well you guessed it ,he didnt pay the bill and a couple of months later i found out that the outstanding amount was listed on my CRAA as it was in my name only.
I quickly paid the bill and that was 6 months ago.
Is there anything i can do to have that removed from my CRAA or am i stuck with it for 5 years?

thanks Steve

Hi steve,

My company is a member of cra.
I always make sure when an outstanding bill is paid that it is recorded as "paid" with the cra, however while the listing is then shown as paid it is still shown as a "grey" mark against your name.
You should ring the creditor you paid and make sure they have registered the bill as paid, and/ or ring the cra and tell them the situation and they will ring the creditor to confirm payment and get it recorded as paid.

good luck

rossv

thanks Ross just wondering how badly a bank would look at that grey mark?
Even though it such a small amount.
Will it give me problems?

Steve

steve,

don't worry too much,
The banks are in the business of lending money (they want to give you money)
I would only suggest that you explain the situation when you apply for any finance...........no problem.......
;)

rossv

Hi Steve,

Agree totally with what Ross said but just a little bit to add to that.

Even though its only a small amount the reality is that it can be a real pain in the you know what! It won't be too much of a problem with the banks as Ross said, as long as you provide an explanation and a letter signed by your friend confirming the particulars of what happened when you apply.

But even though it will show on your CRAA file that the outstanding default amount has been paid, it will still remain on your record for another 5 years. I think it's worth trying to get the creditor to have the default removed. Most of the time, you won't have much chance, though, depending on who the default was with some creditors are more willing to help as they understand the hassle it can cause with future finance,etc.

I know when I worked at Westpac and Optus, on the odd occasion we did contact CRAA to have listings completely removed(yes, its true, I'm not lieing!:) Depending on the cirumstances in which the default was listed in the first place and also the amount?

I thinks it's worth you getting a detailed letter signed by your friend acknowleding he too was at fault and really push to have the default removed. Whenever you apply for finance in the future, even if its signing up to a new mobile plan they will run a check on your CRAA and you will have to go through the whole time wasteing process of explaining the context of the listing,etc and even then, some creditors won't take your explanation as being good enough as they generally become quite sceptical with people who have a bad credit record. ie there are alot of people out there with genuine blemishes on their CRAA who try to make all sorts of excuses for it!

Also, alot of comapny's these days(like the ones who provide credit cards) have systems in which your application is not even looked at and assessed by a credit analysis. Your application is loaded into a system generated application by an external data inputing company. The application then goes through a whole credit scoring matrix which takes into consideration the usual things. But if it picks up a default,etc on your CRAA then your credit card apllication is automatically declined as your score is too low and your sent the generic "Your aplication has been declined to to information obtained by the Credit Reference Association of Australia (now Baycorp) blah blah.

Obviously you can get past it, but usually involves faxing more info to them, letter explaining circumstances of default, extra financials,etc absolute nuisance and waste of time for you. Not to mention the time you waste having to speak to some unqualified customer service rep trying to tell you why your application was declined without them saying anything because of the protection of the banks lending criteria. Then you 'll ask them, didn't you get my letter attached to the application explaining what happened and they will reply " On the application form(in minute writing mind you) it says to not attach any documentation to the application form. We will request any necessary documents if it is required"

Anyhow, Steve, I guess you get the drift of what I'm saying.

Good luck,

Darren

I was in the same situation as you and only found out about this when i applied for a loan from Westpac. I payed the outstanding amount, sent all the documentation regarding the issue to Westpac as requested by them and then was told by Westpac that I would have to wait a fuether 6 months before applying for a loan from them. I then applied for a loan from CBA and sent them the explanation regarding the problem and had no problems getting the loan.

Hiya

You are suck with it for a few reasons, the least of which is joint and several liability of partnerships.

On the upside it wont bother you too much as long as you broach the topic at time of application and provide a reasonable writtem explanation and an show you could have paid the bill easily at the time had ypou know of your partners "administrative oversight".

There have been succesful finance apps even with 10 000 defaults and so called clearouts.

Its not so much the amount but the why.

ta

rolf

Rolf is right when he says it is mainly about the "why" and not the "amount".

If you can demonstrate that at the time it really was merely a oversight and nothing more than that, you shouldn't have any problem getting a loan?

At the end of the day, what will count most is what your current financial situation is? If it's okay, then this blemish shouldn't have too much of a dramtic impact with any lenders, as long as you meet their normal lending criteria/requirments,etc

regards,

Darren

Back