Crace building project

Just bought a land in crace 465 sq. frontage in 15 m. Looking at building a investment property. 4 bedder single story. Never build in canberra before. Plz suggest me some reasonable builder. Plz advise should i go with builder set plan or should i get draftman to draft a plan for me first. What will the cheaper option. what should i be budgeting per sqm. My target is to have finish peoduct within 200 sqm inc 4 bed 2 garage alfresco.

Plz advise should i go with builder set plan or should i get draftman to draft a plan for me first. What will the cheaper option.

The most cost effective option would be to use one of the big project home building firms and choose one of their own designs.

Give Stuart a call at http://www.vogueconstructions.com.au/

They have a display at Crace and have quite a few plans.

Don't get mixed up with the sales person at the display village have a look at it. But deal direct with either Stuart or Nathan. I think you will get a much better price without the middle man/lady.

They build a very good quality home. I not sure about prices. Nathan is very focused at moving things along onsite at quite a rapid rate.

*I do some work for them* But also for a few other builders around Canberra. These guys are the pick from who we deal with.

Be aware of ******r Homes Canberra, one of the builders, who has a display home at north.

He starts with a low quote, and charge more after contract signed...
Had a house built with him, 3bedroom + study single storey, which lasted for 11 month :mad:

Some of the issues:

1. have Smeg appliance as their standard & showed us in their display home, but put Omega (one of the cheapest brand in the market) in their contract

2. after the building started, asked $4k+ for electricity at the beginning

3. agreed to share the cost of toilet hiring, but they asked pay a lot more

4. Agreed to use a plumber, as a builder, they can add 20% manage fee, at the end, they charged at least $1000 more.

5. When I asked for original receipt, he said a $200 fee would be charged for his accountant to find the receipt. I agreed. He asked for it on the spot, cash. Obviously, he had never wanted to show the receipts at all.

6. Agreed to install two separate water meters, but at the end, one of the meter has never been used by ActwelAGL.

7. Finished the house 3 month later than the date signed on the contract.

8. He did not want to hand over the key after 3 month delay, as he wanted me to wave the 3 month liquidate damage (the delay penalty). On the contract signed to penalty of $450/week,

9. Now,6 month later, still has not paid $2000 refund after MBA (Master Building Accosiation) involved, and does not reply emails or phone calls.

Be aware of him! Message me if you want the builder's company name.

Thinking of further actions to deal with the issues, including legal and media...

Last edited:
Solid Constructions \ Mark Porreca (http://www.solidconstructions.com.au/)

Cheapest in Canberra and despite being rough around the edges he is the most honest person I have dealt with in the construction industry Australia wide. You will get what you sign for, he wont invent variations and the prices\inclusions wont change nor will the finish date.

He has done all my developments and single house projects in Canberra.

Strongly recommend him.

Just bought a land in crace 465 sq. frontage in 15 m. Looking at building a investment property. 4 bedder single story. Never build in canberra before. Plz suggest me some reasonable builder. Plz advise should i go with builder set plan or should i get draftman to draft a plan for me first. What will the cheaper option. what should i be budgeting per sqm. My target is to have finish peoduct within 200 sqm inc 4 bed 2 garage alfresco.

Back