Cracked brick wall, body corp question

Hi guys and girls.

Long time follower first time poster.

First of all, love the site, when I purchased my first property I bought it under license agreement - I got the template from this site. Heppled a lot as the lawyer knew about it but never had done one before.

I got a problem.

The unit/little townhouse my mom lives in has a cracked wall in bethween the briks, longways so it can be seen from inside or outside, only seen from the start of the wall.
Looks like two pieces of cheese pealing Appart if that makes sense.

I got body corp to invetigate it as they have inshurance for such things but inshurance copmany "could not find the cause"

Now body corp had they annual meeting and write that there is a need of engineers report and that it will cost $3300 and that it is on he owner of the unit to pay for such report.

I belived that since walls belong to body corp so should all the costs asscociated with the investigation and repair.

I don't know what to do, should I get a lawyer to look over the agreement and write a letter to body corp.

Do not know.

Any information, experience or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Put the boot back on the other foot. Write to the BC and confirm that you are concerned about the cracking in the structural walls of your unit. You would like them to engage an engineer to provide a report confirming that the premises is safe to occupy. (The cost of the engineer's report should be less than you have indicated).

Hi guys and girls.

Long time follower first time poster.

First of all, love the site, when I purchased my first property I bought it under license agreement - I got the template from this site. Heppled a lot as the lawyer knew about it but never had done one before.

I got a problem.

The unit/little townhouse my mom lives in has a cracked wall in bethween the briks, longways so it can be seen from inside or outside, only seen from the start of the wall.
Looks like two pieces of cheese pealing Appart if that makes sense.

I got body corp to invetigate it as they have inshurance for such things but inshurance copmany "could not find the cause"

Now body corp had they annual meeting and write that there is a need of engineers report and that it will cost $3300 and that it is on he owner of the unit to pay for such report.

I belived that since walls belong to body corp so should all the costs asscociated with the investigation and repair.

I don't know what to do, should I get a lawyer to look over the agreement and write a letter to body corp.

Do not know.

Any information, experience or tips would be greatly appreciated.

i m going thru same deal at this very moment

i live in a 1970s strata apt/unit building and i have a LARGE crack (>10mm)

I told them i have grave concerns for my safety being inside that bedroom

unfortnately our building does not have a big maintenance / sinking fund.. our OC struck a special levy for this engineers report. their fee was 4500 but he looked at all units that have been affected by this building subside. (unfortunately all reports done for the building is not covered by OC)

basically we need the engineer report to determine the cause and action to stop the crack from propagating. more than likely the building insurance wont cover our damage.. =( life really sucks

because we also had previous drainage issues, engineer have advised he is unable to complete his structural assessment until a full plumbing investigating has been carried out and completed with a report. (there goes another $8k)

i wish u luck

( quote: I belived that since walls belong to body corp so should all the costs asscociated with the investigation and repair.)

Firstly, not all walls belong to body corp.
Have a look at your title and this will determine with certainty if its a body corp wall or your wall. If it is your wall, then its not fair for the other owners to fund your report fee. The investigation costs will be yours. If however its determined from your investigation that the wall has cracked from something from common land (eg a tree, poor drainage) then you should ask the bcorp to address and fund the problem and reimburse you for the cost of the report.
Good luck,
Tgan

according to Strata Commnunity Australia,

reference: http://www.stratacommunity.org.au/strata-living/frequently-asked-questions#own

"What exactly do I own in a strata scheme?Generally speaking all you own in a unit is the air space and its contents, including internal walls and fixtures. Everything else – outside walls and the roof, hallways, stairs, foyers, lifts, gardens, carparks etc etc — is collectively owned by all of the owners in equal shares as tenants in common."

according to Strata Commnunity Australia,

reference: http://www.stratacommunity.org.au/strata-living/frequently-asked-questions#own

"What exactly do I own in a strata scheme?Generally speaking all you own in a unit is the air space and its contents, including internal walls and fixtures. Everything else – outside walls and the roof, hallways, stairs, foyers, lifts, gardens, carparks etc etc — is collectively owned by all of the owners in equal shares as tenants in common."
Apparently this has changed a lot lately. A lot of owners corps no longer own the roof for example (had a good one last week). I would have to say look at your title, if you're not sure talk to your solicitor. They'll be able to look at the title and let you know where to go from there :).

Back