Cracked wall tiles!

Hi guys
My property manager has just alerted me to the following.
The tenant has taken some images but Id like to know how I should proceed for this issue. I have no idea how long this has been there for. I believe the house is sitting on piers, could it be that the piers have moved?

What would be my next step? I have never encountered this before. I am unsure how big the job will be

Your tenant of above property reported that wall tiles at kitchen window corner area has being away (big gaps) from wall & window frame. There is a long crack appeared along the wall tiles near the kitchen power point area. Some wall tiles are getting very loose. It seems that the loose tiles will be falling from the wall soon.

Photos are attached for your information.

Repair needs to be done to stop the wall tiles falling & proven future water damage to the wall & cupboards.

Attachments

• CRACKED WALL TILES IN KITCHEN (2).jpg
    CRACKED WALL TILES IN KITCHEN (2).jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 168
  • PHOTO OF KITCHEN WALL TILES (3).jpg
    PHOTO OF KITCHEN WALL TILES (3).jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 169
I wouldn't worry about sending a tiler or a handyman there that's for sure.

You have some serious underlying issue, and as you mention, if the house is on piers, there has been some movement. I would send a builder savvy in structural engineering or an actual structural engineer for assessment.

The current cosmetic damage might not be the only problem either, so prepare yourself for that as it comes.

pinkboy

The agent is sending a handyman over to assess it.
However, he stated that its unlikely to cause these types of cracks if the house is on piers?

The agent is sending a handyman over to assess it.
However, he stated that its unlikely to cause these types of cracks if the house is on piers?

No point sending a handyman! He will look at it and say 'Tiles popped off the wall, here's your quote to remove, dispose and replace'. Waste of time and $$$.

pinkboy

Looks like I'll definitely need some recommendations as to who to send.
Also wondering if this would be covered by insurance also

Depends on the handyman - I've got one who runs a business and he is able to bring in builders, structural engineers, electricians plumbers etc. as required.

I would be concerned about the underlying problem. Your PM has mentioned water damage (I think it's supposed to be 'prevent future water damage' in her email), that is the most common cause of this sort of damage that I come across - water leaking from a pipe in the walls or perhaps getting in around the window?

First you need to establish the cause and then you'll know how big the problem is. :) As others have said, fix the cause before the cosmetic items :)

I spoke to the agent again just then and they have stated that it is a common seen in older homes. However this is usually over bathroom areas with a lot of moisture.

I showed the pictures to a few people and most of them agree it is water damage, however, I would have to find the cause of it obviously.

The problem was not there 3months ago when they conducted an inspection

Have you been getting much rain?

If not, then probably not the roof / gutters and probably a pipe in the wall?

It is fairly common in older homes but usually it's in the shower behind the taps :).

Thanks for the help
I just hope it isn't an expensive reoair

There has been rain lately but it isnt an awful lot

Last edited:
Let us know what the handyman says. My advise (the same I give to all of my landlords if this happens) is to fix what appears to be the cause of the damage - make the area safe and then just give it a week or so to make sure the cause is repaired before you fix the cosmetics. 9 times out of 10 the problem is repaired first time but it's worth the extra caution for that 1 time the real problem is missed first visit.

So the handyman came and said that it was due to the heat warping the tiles or walls, causing them to fall down. He didn't really address the cause of the issue and try to find out if there was any water or if it was due to movement of the house.

Not sure where to go from here. He seems to want to repair it cosmetically, but I dont think he has addressed an underlying potential problem.

Huh? whats on the other side of the wall, a blast furnace?

I have never seen "heat" buckle and pop tiles off a wall like that

Hmm...I don't want to say I told you so, but.....

I would get a structural engineer or at least a building inspector out to find the underlying issue.

Stop wasting $$$ and get someone in who knows what they're talking about.

pinkboy

rip some of those tiles off and check if plaster board is wet. If so rip plaster off and ascertain where water is coming from. If from pipe repair pipe. Water could be coming from somewhere else eg if brick veneer from a brick tie, or maybe from the roof/gutter.

If the problem is only new than something has happened eg leaking pipe. Or has someone been on the roof and done something?

Also look for moisture damage below the tiles. Open the cupboard doors and look around. Repair as necessary.

I agree with the others - do not repair cosmetically until the cause has been found. Get someone else out there. If it was the heat then it wouldn't be a new problem - I still have my money on water! :).

Me too. I don't believe it is caused by heat too.
I checked under the cupboards and doors, which didnt have any water marks or feel damp.

Any reccomendations on who to call for a second opinion in Sydney? (Bankstown area)

Tiles pulled off and apparently they were stuck to a timber wall rather than gyprock or anything. I have never see this before
There was no signs of any water damage and so they original tiles were just re glued to the wall.

As above send a structural engineer.

I was asked to renovate a bathroom in a house, straight away I could tell...

(from my 5 years studying engineering *rubs dust off left shoulder*)

that there was some serious structural problems with the foundation.

I suggested they should be spending their reno money on getting it structurally sound first. They insisted they wanted the renovation.

By the time I finished, all the patching I had done using flexible materials had split open and the cracks were running down the wall again. Never again.

Don't waste your $$$ until you have the structural issues sorted first.

Tiles

Some good responses above.

Some areas to look at;
- What type of construction is the house. Full brick, brick veneer, weatherboard ?
- What is happening on the outside of the wall where the cracked tiles are?
- In regards to piers, how much space is under the house? Can you get under the house to inspect. If your piers have dropped that much it should be noticeable.
- What type of soil are you sitting on and what has been the local weather. eg clay soil - dry weather will see shrinkage.

I would be inclined to get a competent builder over an engineer at this stage.

Back