Cracks in brick veneer

Anyone had any experience with repairing cracks in external brick veneer walls ? I assume the most crucial thing is to try and establish what has caused the cracks and whether they are likely to get worse but I guess that is somewhat difficult to determine (the bit about whether they are likely to get worse).
I was ready to exchange contracts on this IP in the Illawarra area but am now having second thoughts if repairs and remedies are ongoing and expensive.
Advice from anyone with experience in dealing with this type of problem would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMAG0011 (2).jpg
    IMAG0011 (2).jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 147
  • IMAG0005 (2).jpg
    IMAG0005 (2).jpg
    101 KB · Views: 134
If its brick veneer the cracks are just cosmetic, the frame of the house bears the load, the bricks are there for looks only. Repair is relatively cheap.

Look for cracks adn movement on the ceiling, internal walls and cornice. That will tell you if you have an issue or not.

If

Look for cracks adn movement on the ceiling, internal walls and cornice. That will tell you if you have an issue or not.

Howabout a fibre house, on slab, with gyprock cracks in ceilng and wall. The cracks are mainly in the centre of the house (hallway). Any comment appreciated.

Yes possibly or one of the piers is sinking which is going to be costly if thats the case. Get someone to check it out.

Also as Dave said cracks on the ceiling are a good sign of this.

Regards

Shahin

if the ground is damp the cracking would likely be due:

lack of drainage causing stormwater to sit around house
soil expands when is wet
soil shrinks when dries out
if there is no or insufficent expansion joints in brickwork you will get cracking with this movement

before you exchange i would get an experienced builder down there to inspect whats going on the fix could be simple and cost little (a broken downpipe), it maybe complex and cost alot, it may not be able to be fixed at all

Thanks

Thanks for the replies / suggestions. I am organising a builder to give me a quote on repairs - depending on that I will exchange :D or keep looking :(

Back