'Cracks in foundations' - is this a big concern?

I've just had a building inspection done on a ~50 year old fibro house I've exchanged on. The report has highlighted:

"Cracks were observed to the foundations of the dwelling, all cracks are a concern and should ideally be assessed by a structural engineer then monitored by an appropriate building professional over time for possible future movement."

The report included just one photo of the 'cracks' which I have uploaded.

Is this something to be concerned about or is this the building inspector covering themselves?

Attachments

• foundations.jpg
    foundations.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 168
i have not seen this home but if the picture is annything to go on , no it is not the end of the world, after 50 years every thiung cracks eventually, it does not look like the house will fall over , in the next 20 years at least.

don't worry about it ?

I've just had a building inspection done on a ~50 year old fibro house I've exchanged on. The report has highlighted:

"Cracks were observed to the foundations of the dwelling, all cracks are a concern and should ideally be assessed by a structural engineer then monitored by an appropriate building professional over time for possible future movement."

Is this something to be concerned about or is this the building inspector covering themselves?
At least the timber is hardwood,the fibro would be more a worry,but as
CraigB has already said after 50 years i would not miss any sleep over it
..willair..

Building Inspector covering himself as per instructions from his insurer.

Normally, I've been reading in building reports:
Significance of defect: These are minor serviceability cracks ½-2 millimetres in width and do not pose a major structural problem. If however the cracks do increase to over three millimeters then a structural engineer would need to be consulted to identify more significant underlying problems that would be causing further cracking and movement. This is not considered to be a probable outcome due to the minor nature of the cracks at present.

I think from the photo they look less than 3mm - looks pretty OK to me. :)

Thanks guys. I thought as much. There's also a couple of small leaks on the roof, so I'm going to try and negotiate a little bit more off the price.

Back