cream for scars

My 3.5 year old contracted Impetago (school sores) from day care and was home last week. The sores are no longer blisters or open and have started to heal. BUT now I am concerned she will have scarring as they were quite extensive on her legs.

I thought I would get some cream for her to try to prevent scarring. Anyone know of a particular cream that is good, preferably by personal experience?

thanks in advance

Vitamin E oil rubbed in can help. Get the little oil capsules and ***** them with a pin to squeeze the oil out. I got quite a bad burn on my arm when I was ten and this cleared up the scar for me.

I like papaw ointment. Scolded myself with a boiling radiator and liked the results. It is in the baby care section because they use it for nappy rash.

I use comfrey for all cuts and sores (high potency)
it promotes fast healing, and generally reduces scarring on larger wounds.
hope this helps

You can get the pawpaw cream in Target I saw the other day.

Be vigilant and keep rubbing cream in, even plain sorbolene will do (nothing with perfume).

Your daughter's skin is lovely and young and will heal very quickly. I remember freaking out about scars from the measles at age 10 (or so) and I only have the tiniest one hidden by clothes now.

My 3.5 year old contracted Impetago (school sores) from day care and was home last week. The sores are no longer blisters or open and have started to heal. BUT now I am concerned she will have scarring as they were quite extensive on her legs.

I thought I would get some cream for her to try to prevent scarring. Anyone know of a particular cream that is good, preferably by personal experience?

thanks in advance

Hi Bespoke,

A surgeon in the UK recommended my wife use a product called Terproline.
Be warned though - it isn't cheap.

Cheers
Neil

ill throw emu-oil into the mix,

EXTERNAL
Arthritis
Dry Skin
Nappy Rash & Cradle Cap
Burns (including Sunburn)
Bruising & Corks
Blisters, Cuts & Abrasions
Scar Tissue
Inflammation

just google
emu oil +scar

and filter for australia.

Rose hip oil is also very good for scars - I tend to heal very slowly and if I get a pimple the scar can hang around for months once it's cleared up but with rose hip oil applied twice a day it goes away in only a few days.

The four most important aspects to good skin repair.

1. The benefit of many ointments is their ability to keep the epidermis moist, especially the deepest strata that produce skin cells (outer layers are just old cells pushed out)....moisture facilitates passive diffusion of nutrient and oxygen from the capillaries and ensures new healthy skin cells are formed at an optimal rate and bond together with less scarring i.e. a better mix of elastin and collagen. reduced elastin in the scar makes it inelastic, funnily enough.

2. A very healthy diet, good sleep, and low stress. You need optimal nutrient load and oxygen delivered to the tissue, and optimal growth hormone and other healing mediators. anti-oxidant laiden fruit and vege are the key.

3. a water based moisturizer.....the most cost effective is aloe vera gel freshly scrapped from inside of the stems. rub it in and impregnate some into cotton gauze and bind on as much as every second night for a couple of weeks. you could rotate the bandages between different scars.

4. massage. as scar is forming, continue to stretch and massage the area. this will enhance blood flow and stretch out short tight collagen scar material, and lead to more elastic and better vascularized tissue.

Finally, it is also important to stay well hydrated and have regular cardio exercise to help push blood to through the peripheral vasculature.

This points come from my education and experience with burns patients.

When my kids had chicken pox the chemist also recommended vit E orally to reduce scarring. I used to crush the chalky tablet with a knife and mix it with melting chocolate. Kids loved it!!

Back