Creative or competitive application to wealth creation?

Hi Folks
I would like to share something I have discovered about wealth creation methods.
When I was younger I was very competitive in most aspects of my life, even with music and art as I saw what I did as a commodity that could be sold at a profit in the market place. The thing that I discovered about that approach was there often appeared to be a finite source (my time) and a limit to my own ability in its application to the market. This restriction often left me a claustrophobic feeling of being trapped or cornered and so I attempted to satisfy myself by changing jobs/hobbies/interests often. Thus now in retrospect I see that as just competing for money.
I am seeing that there are two actions that a person can apply to get money/wealthily. Competitively, or creatively.
These days I lean toward the latter as I find that approach to hold the least line of resistance and suits my true nature as an artist/musician/renovator. I also find that the outcomes from that approach are more rewarding as that an idea created is something new and this sets up a benchmark as a leader in that field of discovery if successful. I have proven in my experience that wealth created from an expansive idea can also be also expansive.
Some folk might read this and agree in principal, but when look inward on themselves cannot see a clear creative path in their own lives from which to proceed with. They may feel trapped and cornered by their life's current circumstance.
Some might also say that we live in a world of finite resources and finite time constraints etc, so being competitive is what it is like out there in the market.
The bottom line to my post is that I have found that a successful creative idea sets a new benchmark and opens the door to expansive potential for others to add their own creative touch to. That makes for a better world tomorrow.
Where are you right now? competing or creating.:)
Simon

definately creating - i create the project in my mind and turn it over to the professionals to physically create (with supervision). takes very little of my time but has (so far) has very very good rewards.

it's leveraging - of time.

I am a very unimaginative person when it comes to creating wealth :) - so I must be on the "competitive" side.

I view wealth creation as a "business" - and so by that very nature, it is competitive - to wield more power than the other players.

I do find however, that the very need to be competitive drives us to find creative new ways to achieve those ends - whether it be property, shares, options, hedge funds, etc.

Cheers,

The Y-man

I agree with Y-man, in that I also find myself leaning towards the 'competitive' side.

Maybe it was too much sport and not enough art/drama/music in my developing years... I don't know.

But I have also found that being very competitive by nature has helped me achieve my goals faster. Maybe this will change in time as I mature, like Simon has said. But again...I dont know :rolleyes:

Chris

Hi Folks
Don't misunderstand me as I agree that competition is not a bad thing in itself. It is real and affects us all as one of the fundamental practices of folk in general society. It helps us to measure our own ability and thus may go some way to help us as we progress toward our personal goals. What I am implying is that of the two creativity is infinite and more inclusive of others skills/talents etc, whereas competition is a more exclusive process based on finite resources and isolation of the perpetrator/s(top dog).
It is interesting that it appears some of us feel safer in a competitive environment than a creative one and visa versa.
Simon

Where are you right now? competing or creating.:)
Simon, sounds like you are asking yourself some serious life questions
For me i'm not competing against anyone, but i like creating in so many
different ways, and all that comes down to a simple fact unlike eyesight
which can be blocked by a wall, my listening ability are always100% on and
that alone let's you penetrate the truth..good luck willair..

Creativity is great!

Definitely creative....if any competitiveness (it is within myself ) ...that whatever I do, it be me striving for my best...ha ha, which may or may not always come off!:p

"Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun."

Mary Lou Cook

At any one point in time every single piece of land is owned by someone. Hence property investing is 100% competitive. It's just like the game of Monopoly, the more players, the harder it is for you. And the less players, the easier it is for you.

Property is always owned regardless of whether people are taught about property investing or not (and regardless of whether people read property investing books or not).

And to suggest that property is "unaffordable" makes no sense at all. Because a property is always owned, it is always affordable for somebody. (And if that person can't afford it, they sell it to someone who can afford it, hence why property is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, nothing more, nothing less.)

. And the less players, the easier it is for you.

Actually, I find lack of players - i.e. low liquidity - a pretty big issue. It can make valuations difficult due to lack of comparative sales, no one pushing prices up (and hence value of my investment), and if I need to offload in a hurry.....

Cheers,

The Y-man

Nice thread!

During my PhD in science my supervisor told me that I could either try to be the best or I could try to be different. Being the best as a goal has never motivated me but I'm excited by challenges and finding solutions, the more creative the better. So yes, definitely creativity is the fun part in investing.

kaf

I would classify myself as a person who achieves more by being creative. However, I dont think I am there yet. If I were doing something of my own then I would def. use that strength.

Back