Credit card with maximum FF points

I've just read my ANZ Qantas FF credit card bill carefully for the first time in ages and realised I'm only getting 0.5 Qantas FF points for every dollar spent, so I've figured it's time to have a look around as to what else is out there. Are there any cards out there that give you 1 for 1 or more?

I've got a Commbank Gold Visa.
I can transfer my points to the Virgin Velocity program. I lose some (25% from memory) in the transfer, but that's better than a 0.5:1 ratio.
I'm sure there are better deals, but I've been accumulating points on this card for many years, so was already invested in the program.

I've just read my ANZ Qantas FF credit card bill carefully for the first time in ages and realised I'm only getting 0.5 Qantas FF points for every dollar spent, so I've figured it's time to have a look around as to what else is out there. Are there any cards out there that give you 1 for 1 or more?

Look at American Express

They provide 2 points for $1 but the annual fee is quiet steep or the Westpac / Qantas credit cards. You get 2 cards...mastercard (0.5 point for $1) and Amex (1 point for $1). But there are annaul fee

Look at American Express

They provide 2 points for $1 but the annual fee is quiet steep or the Westpac / Qantas credit cards. You get 2 cards...mastercard (0.5 point for $1) and Amex (1 point for $1). But there are annaul fee

I had AMEX for many years but got rid of it because hardly any stores were accepting it.

Which is why Amex usually have strong rewards systems - they charge a higher merchant fee to retailers. And then retailers either charge the customer a fee or refuse the card.

I'm happy enough with my ANZ Frequent Flyer Visa, although they cap the points spending now. ($2000 = 1pt, >$2000-$5000 = 0.5pt from memory, but they keep changing it!:() It has some good bonus partners with up to 5pts/$ such as Avis.

There is a platinum Amex with a $395pa fee, that gives you one "free" return Qantas flight between capitals each year and unlimited points earn at 1 pt/$ with some bonuses if you purchase Qantas products. There's some detail here There are some other amex cards that go to 1.5pt/$. There have a comparison tool that could be useful.

nab

I got a NAB Gold Mastercard and they give you an additional AMEX Card and I get 1pt per $1 although it's capped but yeah it changes all the time.

I have a Citibank Visa Platinum which earns 1 point for $1 and Citibusiness Gold which earns 1.25 pts for $1 (but is capped at 80,000 points, annual fee $130).

These two are hard to beat in my opinion.

There is a platinum Amex with a $395pa fee, that gives you one "free" return Qantas flight between capitals each year and unlimited points earn at 1 pt/$ with some bonuses if you purchase Qantas products.
The Amex Ultimate card is now $450pa and gives 1.5 pt/$. There is a promotion on (ends April 15th) that gives you 50,000 bonus points if you spend $4k in 3 months. If you value your points at 1c/point, it covers the annual fee with a flight included.

https://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/memberSpecials/cards/qantas-american-express-ultimate

Are there any cards out there that give you 1 for 1 or more?
Check out this forum:
http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/community

Note that credit card points are usually only good if you can pay the balance in full each month, so be careful.

you should have been sent a letter last year from both ANZ and Qantas to invite you to get an AMEX card linked to your FF visa card, which gives additional points.
Its the same account, one statement, and no additional credit limit. But you can use either card to maximise your points. I think it can still be organised, if you have a look at ANZ website, or ring them up.

Interestingly, I'm staying in a hotel at the moment, and they used to offer Qantas points, but have stopped, because Qantas wanted them to pay $10K or $20K a year for the privilege.

Pen

I had a basic amex gold debit card which needed to be paid off every month.
Rang them up to cancel it and they asked why, I said I could get a cheaper card annual fee wise with a better qantas program.
In order to retain, they waived the annual fee for the qantas amex across the board. So the cards fee fee.
BUT I still havent activated it or used it. Actually I dont even know where it is come to think of it. Hmmm.

I've got a Commbank Gold Visa.
I can transfer my points to the Virgin Velocity program. I lose some (25% from memory) in the transfer, but that's better than a 0.5:1 ratio.
I'm sure there are better deals, but I've been accumulating points on this card for many years, so was already invested in the program.

Rob, depending on what suits you limit wise - if you change your CBA Gold Visa/MC ($5K min) to a Platinum ($12k min.) you'll get a better points accumulation and FF conversion. You'll get even better FF conversion if you make it a Platinum AMEX - but unfortunately that's not an option for me.

Anyway, if the limit doesn't bother you, or your Gold card is already that level anyway - you've got nothing to lose from switching from Gold to Platinum.

Back