Credit Cards Again/Benefits

We have a Virgin Credit Card which gives upto 4 free trips in Australia pa, buy one get one free. The problem is there are additional fees, not huge but adds up, also at mercy of what is available.

American Express also has a credit card where you get 1 free trip pa, only costs $99 per year to join up last time I looked.

Just thought I would ask if anyone has investigated the various options/benefits that credit cards provide, its a maze out there.

I am attracted to the credit cards that provide the free trips, but perhaps I should look at those that provide better point system, not sure??

Anyone got something I should know, worth considering:)

MTR

A few months ago on ABC radio they did a segment on this, and it was found that you can't get enough reward points to cover the cost of the card with many of them.

Basically; the reward points scheme/scam is a waste of time in many cases.

I use a Jetstar Platinum with a low limit (5k). $149 per year annual fee. Have it linked to QFF and get 1 QFF for $1 purchase. You can also do a Jetstar flight voucher instead of QFF, they give you something like $2 in flights for each $100 spent, but you only have 6 months to use the voucher.

Was going to go with Virgin but they wouldn't give me a low limit.

I just use it to hoard QFF points, works very well so far.

I'm with AMEX black - with a linked Mastercard for those places that don't take AMEX.

We put every expense we can on the card - including business expenses - with 55 days interest free - and pay it off every month so have never paid interest.

We would get back at least $6-700 worth of Bunnings or Harvey Norman (can be used at the cheaper Joyce Mayne) gift cards each year.

Card fee is around $200 year.

So, I guess it depends on how much you spend - whether you can pay it off every month - and whether you can use the products they are offering. I always go the gift cards personally.

I'm with AMEX black - with a linked Mastercard for those places that don't take AMEX.

We put every expense we can on the card - including business expenses - with 55 days interest free - and pay it off every month so have never paid interest.

We would get back at least $6-700 worth of Bunnings or Harvey Norman (can be used at the cheaper Joyce Mayne) gift cards each year.

So, I guess it depends on how much you spend - whether you can pay it off every month - and whether you can use the products they are offering. I always go the gift cards personally.

We do exactly the same.

$200 year in fees and $800 in reward vouchers. We normally get Myer vouchers and use to help purchase Christmas presents

Thought for a moment we were talking the *real* Amex Black (Centurion) card......... :D

You fees wouldn't be a measly $200 a year.....

The Y-man

I still highly recommend the Amex platinum edge credit card....one free flight return a yr. I think they have a promotion at the moment where first yr annual fee is free. Great deal if u live in perth......as they let u fly to sydney/melbourne. Can always cancel after one yr.

Otherwise there was a great deal with anz visa credit card where u got first yr free and 50000 qantas points but not sure if this deal is still available or not.

We have the Westpac Black altitude credit card which came free with the pro package. otherwise annual fee is a hefty $395. I've been very happy with it as you get 3 points per Amex $ spent, and 1 point per Mastercard $ spent. Have redeemed lots of bunnings vouchers over the few years I've had that credit card.

Calculated it's the Bunnings gift card equates to 1.6% return for each $100 spent on Amex. We put all the bills on Amex where possible so it really adds up.

Recently took advantage of this deal
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/178201

18 month $0 annual fee balance transfer. Got 5 figures balance transferred to the Westpac card, then because it was in credit, withdrew the credit portion and whacked it in the offset.

Been investigating options for credit card as we are going to ditch the pro package in the next year. I'm leaning towards Amex platinum edge. Anyone got any comments for someone who spends about $3000 pm on credit card? I just need to calculate whether Amex platinum edge is worth it, compared to the Westpac Altitude black but paying the $395 annual fee (assuming I ditch the Westpac pro package)

Also I have a 28 degrees mastercard which I use only for international purchases so I don't get stung by the currency conversion fees for my other c.card

I have been a long term customer and when they changed everyone to Black the arrangement was there would be no fee change for existing customers.

$395 would probably be for any new applications i assume.

I have had my Westpac card for 18 years.

I have been a long term customer and when they changed everyone to Black the arrangement was there would be no fee change for existing customers.

Thanks for this...! ooh I remember when they changed over to black - I wonder if I qualify for the $200 annual fee then. Must ask.

Hoe much do you put into the card to get the 800

My card is 250 per year and i hate the fee

I put on average anyw where between 60k and 120k per year one the card. So thats 60k-120k qff

I guess it sort of works out for me

Hoe much do you put into the card to get the 800

My card is 250 per year and i hate the fee

I put on average anyw where between 60k and 120k per year one the card. So thats 60k-120k qff

I guess it sort of works out for me

$6067 spend on Amex = 18200 points gets you a $100 bunnings voucher

So to get $800 in bunnings voucher, need to spend $48.5k a year or just over $4k a month on Amex.

That's us too ... had mine for 15 years

... and Tess is right. My card usually runs between $4-6,000/mth - some months higher - but that also includes all business and investment expenses.

Here's another, with a focus on using points to upgrade flights.

http://www.iflyflat.com.au/

Ive read about this guy a few times.I assume he charges a fee

I feel that ive maximised my situation

I use amex for everything 1.5 qff points per dollar
mastercard is 1 per 1 qff

Iwill try and use my points for a business upgrade for a long haul flight

Howeevr i dont take those sign up uogrades of 50k points as i dont need more creidt cards

I used to do the pay for the entire groups meal and receive cash for dinners when i was younger. But not any more

I keep an eye out for bonus points but dont use then that much

Any other pointers?

Back