Cricket World Cup 2011 - Is anybody interested ?

I'll be interested once the quarter finals start.

The problem with the World Cup is there are too many games, and it takes far too long to complete. The football (soccer) world cup takes a month, and involves 32 teams. The cricket world cup takes two months, and involces, what, 12 teams?

Why so long? TV and money are the reasons. Wake me when we get to the final eight.

Ireland pulled off a sensational win over England overnight in World Cup match.
The best result of the World cup so far, hearty congrats to Irish cricket team, awesome batting display.
England could not defend 327 runs, hmmmmmmm: :confused:

i would watch it if it was on friggin free to air tv!!! I have looked up the tvguide a few times recently when i know a game is on and not found any coverage. Thought the SBS or ABC would cover it as they have done for previous world cups but doesnt look like it this time around.

i would watch it if it was on friggin free to air tv!!! I have looked up the tvguide a few times recently when i know a game is on and not found any coverage. Thought the SBS or ABC would cover it as they have done for previous world cups but doesnt look like it this time around.

The last Aussie match with New Zealand was covered on 'free to air'.

Australia play Sri Lanka on Saturday, and it is covered as well by 'free to air'.

May not be 'live', but should only be delayed an hour or so.

Cheers

Amy

I'll be interested once the quarter finals start.

The problem with the World Cup is there are too many games, and it takes far too long to complete. The football (soccer) world cup takes a month, and involves 32 teams. The cricket world cup takes two months, and involces, what, 12 teams?

Why so long? TV and money are the reasons. Wake me when we get to the final eight.

Well when each games around 7-8 hours to play, you cant reasonably expect each team to play more than 2 games per week without players suffering once you get towards the end of the competition.

It would be the equivalent of compressing the soccer world cup into 2 weeks, making teams play every 2nd day.

Well when each games around 7-8 hours to play, you cant reasonably expect each team to play more than 2 games per week without players suffering once you get towards the end of the competition.

It would be the equivalent of compressing the soccer world cup into 2 weeks, making teams play every 2nd day.

I agree about the games per week, I think there are too many games.

The 32 soccer teams play three round robin games, then four knockout games to get to a winner.

The 14 team cricket world cup has six round robin games, then three knockout games to find its champion.

They could easily reduce the number of round robin games to three, eliminating three weeks from the tournament.

World Cup quarter-final between India and Australia on tonight will not be showing live on channel 9 - instead this will be be delayed telecast by more than an hour - very disappointed.
Cricket is the national sport of Australia (I guess) and therefore should be on free to air TV and LIVE, coincidentally Footy starting tonight too - may be this is the national sport :confused:

World Cup quarter-final between India and Australia on tonight will not be showing live on channel 9 - instead this will be be delayed telecast by more than an hour - very disappointed.
Cricket is the national sport of Australia (I guess) and therefore should be on free to air TV and LIVE, coincidentally Footy starting tonight too - may be this is the national sport :confused:

K4K4M,
Couldn't agree more.
In Qld, our broadcast on Channel 9 begins at 11pm (our time). We'll only get to watch half of this match, so I would be happy to see all the match, even if it was delayed 1 hour.
This is a HUGE match for Australia, and one that will be watched by a huge world-wide audience. And we will only get to see only half of it....what a joke!!
Go, Aussies..
Amy

there is only one World Cup, and no, it's not cricket :p

I agree, the Rugby World Cup is on later this year.

Being a Kiwi I enjoyed the India v Aussie qf last night. It's not often NZ lasts longer in a cricket world cup than Aussies. Even if it is by a day!!

Being a Kiwi I enjoyed the India v Aussie qf last night. It's not often NZ lasts longer in a cricket world cup than Aussies. Even if it is by a day!!

Now Aussies are out - I would love to see NZ or PAKI to win the cup for very simple reasons that both are non-favourite & underrated teams in this WC.

A World Cup cannot be defined as the old British colonies plus a few other token participants.

More than happy to be parochial and enjoy the opening of the AFL season. Go Pies!

Back