Cricket World Cup 2015

I also used to play for the state until it became difficult to move up the ranks without divulging my gender preference.

I've heard that about women's cricket....

How many other sports do you know where it takes 5 days to have a result?

Even if that result is a draw (ie - the no result, result)

Because you are soooooo old

Mmm...

Like a lot of other people, played a lot of cricket as a kid. Never to state level like some (bg), but not too far off it. But, for some reason, spending hours standing in the 40 degree heat lost it's appeal at age 16.

Fast forward to last summer, and after 20+ years, I thought I'd pop down to the local club's net session. I asked them first and they said another bowler is always welcome. I was pretty rusty, but in between the full tosses and the half-trackers, I managed to land a few and cause some grief to the batters (I'm a leggie, btw).

So anyway.... I could feel the shoulder seizing up towards the end of the session.

The next day....omfg..... the pain.

I think I'm too old.

Anybody booked tickets?

I'm looking forward to Pakistan vs. India game..Tickets were sold out in 12 minutes. However there are a few tickets with strings attached that are much more exxy that ICC are selling. But so worth it. I noticed a few people are bidding on these tickets on ebay/FB while really as per ICC onselling can result in prosecution.

Return flights from Sydney were $355 a year ago and currently looks like $1400-$1600. Insane.

Looking forward to the game and other games. Here is hoping history does not repeat itself in this game and that 1992 history gets repeated in Melbourne :D

Anybody booked tickets?

I'm looking forward to Pakistan vs. India game..Tickets were sold out in 12 minutes. However there are a few tickets with strings attached that are much more exxy that ICC are selling. But so worth it. I noticed a few people are bidding on these tickets on ebay/FB while really as per ICC onselling can result in prosecution.

Return flights from Sydney were $355 a year ago and currently looks like $1400-$1600. Insane.

Looking forward to the game and other games. Here is hoping history does not repeat itself in this game and that 1992 history gets repeated in Melbourne :D

I was at the 'G for the 1992 World Cup final. :D

Love the Paki's. Tough ask this time round though. Still, fingers crossed!

Oh wow. How memorable! Cornered tigers. Loved their spirit. It was what introduced me to cricket. Can't forget being at my grandma's place during the game....my uncle went crazy!

Thanks J_aco. I hadn't been too excited. But got in the spirit again yesterday. Was hoping Australia will win the game..

Actually, I don't recall the last Pakistan vs. India game...The one that I do remember is the Semi Final in WC 2011..which I believe was fixed..

South Australian government bid to have this game in Adelaide!

Edit: when Pakistan loses to India, we think it's fixed everytime :p

Nice!!!

I used to love Inzy - he provided plenty of entertainment on the field :rolleyes:

Jokes aside, I definitely remember Inzy scoring a great hundred at Multan against Bangladesh when PAK was staring at defeat... (then later in 2006 Ponting also steered AUS home chasing 300-odd when Bangladesh almost caused a massive upset)

I was at that game too, the atmosphere was amazing with most of the crowd barracking for the charismatic but always erratic Paki's!

One day cricket has really lost its luster recently with crowds at the G being as low as 10k for international matches when during the heyday it was a always massive turnout. The advent of 20/20 and the endless number of meaningless matches has had a big impact on 50 over cricket as rarely do both sides have full strength teams. Some of the players who have represented Australia in the last 5 years would be in the 3rd to 4th side if all players were available and that reduces credibility significantly.

However the World Cup is the real deal and all teams will be picking their best players and going flat out to win, should be a great event.

The thing about the Paki's is they could self destruct and lose all Pool games or they could go through undefeated and neither result would be a surprize to cricket lovers. Afraidi's playing style pretty much sums it up for the team.

They have had a few 'surprizing results" hmmmnnnn at big tournaments but that is another story altogether.

Lets get through this Asian Cup which is shaping as a ripper and then bring on the Cricket World Cup!!

Cheers NPB

I was at that game too, the atmosphere was amazing with most of the crowd barracking for the charismatic but always erratic Paki's!

The thing about the Paki's is they could self destruct and lose all Pool games or they could go through undefeated and neither result would be a surprize to cricket lovers. Afraidi's playing style pretty much sums it up for the team.

They have had a few 'surprizing results" hmmmnnnn at big tournaments but that is another story altogether.

Lets get through this Asian Cup which is shaping as a ripper and then bring on the Cricket World Cup!!

Cheers NPB

NPB, it won't be the same post Afridi! He brings so much charisma to the team. They are quite self destructive as you say.....But you never know...

Nice!!!

I used to love Inzy - he provided plenty of entertainment on the field :rolleyes:

Jokes aside, I definitely remember Inzy scoring a great hundred at Multan against Bangladesh when PAK was staring at defeat... (then later in 2006 Ponting also steered AUS home chasing 300-odd when Bangladesh almost caused a massive upset)

Haha the good old days of inzi, ganguly and ranatunga, such epic laziness on the field

Haha the good old days of inzi, ganguly and ranatunga, such epic laziness on the field

What was it that Ian Healy once said to Arjuna Runatunga (or Arjuna Ramatonguadownthethroata depending on which commentary you listen to) when AR was batting in a ODI and called for a runner?

You don't get a runner for being a fat, unfit, lazy c***!

Or words to that effect.

What was it that Ian Healy once said to Arjuna Runatunga (or Arjuna Ramatonguadownthethroata depending on which commentary you listen to) when AR was batting in a ODI and called for a runner?

You don't get a runner for being a fat, unfit, lazy c***!

Or words to that effect.

Yup! And put a Mars bar on a good length!

Agree with Matt Hayden about both (a) Harris being our best bowler and (b) the selectors making the wrong call with him by not selecting him in the World Cup.

If the rationale for not picking him is to save him for the Ashes, then surely you wouldn't risk Pup either on the World Cup? But MC has been given until Game # 2 of the WC to prove his fitness.

Last edited:
Back