critique my business idea: alcohol

i have about 1% of confidence like ace in the hole in his idea, so im expecting this to not get off the ground

anyway, i like a particular type of alcohol, due to shortages of the vintages here, its sold out everywhere, even the reps have no hope of getting it

i can scour the local shops and collectors overseas online and buy it fairly easily but not in large amounts. think 1-5 bottles. its also quite scarce overseas

the shops in oz get them in one or two bottles at a time, charge a premium and sell out before it hits the shelves

i have bought a few and had them brought in through friends travelling bacl to aus, and sold quickly

margins are high at about 40%

im expecting to be able to do this a few more times and thats it. can i make a business out of it

i see the cons as

exchange rate
stock (once overses stock is gone, its gone)
if i bring in larger amounts , ill be up for gst
obviously the liquor laws here
low product variety offerings

any business minded people mind inputting
many great success stories start in the home garage!

Seems like it could be a fun part time business (you could drink the profits) one of the main issues would be the liquor licence I would assume. You would need proof that its getting delivered to a 18 year old. Hope you start it and it goes well

If you are doing Yamazaki 48% I know some customers who'll be interested! It'll save them carting it back from Japan every time they visit...

The Y-man

how many bottles can you bring back in duty free these days? I suggest an under the table arrangement, you just need cheap flights in and out of the country....

Be very careful on the limits and frequency of this, the excise guys don't muck around !!

Investigate the legal stuff first, read the penalties twice :)

I smuggled an extra bottle of Mexican tequila across the border into the USA. 1.5 litres per bottle I think it was at the time you could take back. I couldn't not take the $4usd for 1.5 litres deal. You could look into that, although I did almost get raped and murdered there so maybe choose a less hostile place.

Hi

If you only have a 1% feeling that this business will take off, why not sell the idea to a fellow somersoft member for say $10?

Just calculate your Return on Equity for the $10 you received and you will be happy and not having to expose yourself to any risk either....win-win for all.:cool:

Regards,

alicudi

incase this idea takes off, i have dozen of 198X of penfold Grange and some hill of grace too .. wouldn't mind cashing it out..

A few issues with the idea that I see;

1) alcohol excise is about $80/l of alcohol. So if you have a 1l bottle which is 20%
you are looking at a cost of about $16.

2) Licenses are not easy to come by. Added to that you will need liquor lic and liquor import lic which I believe are two separate licenses. If you want to sell retail there may even be an additional lic on top of these (though Im not 100% on this).

3) GST on top.

Personally I don't see this as being as a 'part time' hobby for a few hundred $. Like a lot of things, it can probably work if you put 100% effort into it. Trying to do something like this on the side sounds like a bit more effort than its worth to me.

Blacky

Blacky, the issues you raise donot apply to moonshine.

Now to get the hooch around to the speakeasy, all you need are some bootleggers and a Capone like character (I bags it).

If it's good quality and cheap, there will be a market.

Alicudi, I like extra anchovies, fire up the furnace!

Blacky, the issues you raise donot apply to moonshine.

Now to get the hooch around to the speakeasy, all you need are some bootleggers and a Capone like character (I bags it).

If it's good quality and cheap, there will be a market.

Alicudi, I like extra anchovies, fire up the furnace!

Datto - I like you! You speak my language.

Next SS get together is a moonshine and pizza night!

Blacky

how many bottles can you bring back in duty free these days? I suggest an under the table arrangement, you just need cheap flights in and out of the country....
Depends what country you are coming from but usually the answer is ZERO.

You are not allowed to take liquids on the plane at all, including duty free zipped up alcohol. It WILL be confiscated. Only Australia and the USA do this. Thailand duty free does not sell to people on flights to Australia for this reason, that's where my Spanish Cava was confiscated in transit.

Back