Critique my Re.com.au ad...

Hello all,

I have a property on the market in Toowoomba, QLD, but thus far, have had very very minimal activity, and, very surprisingly, NOT EVEN ANY OFFERS!

I want the agent to revise this ad, so at least he gets more enquiries and hopefully an offer at least, even a low ball one. Any suggestions of how this ad could be improved??? I have a few ideas of my own, but would love to hear from you...

Thanks in advance brainstrust. :)

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...t=&header=&cc=&c=46870543&s=qld&tm=1256540716

First thing I noticed was the lack of floor plan. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I love a floor plan. Helps me build a 3D image of the property in my head, when combined with the pics.
It's had 850 hits. What's the turnout at the opens?
Maybe the inspection times could be listed in the ad?

I take it its priced right? If so, look at how the house is being marketed. Simply having an advert online is not marketing -you have to get people to see its for sale.

By the sounds of it its not marketed properly because you say its getting minimal activity.

Food for thought!

Carrying on from my post above, if the marketing's working effectively and you are getting people going through it, then its either one of two thing or maybe a combination - Over Priced or Something wrong with it.

Exactly what can determined by getting feed back from the people (the market place) who have inspected it.

I hope this provides possible food for thought.

Round here if an ad mentions the house is tenanted, noone wants it.

Try putting in when the lease ends - if it is reasonably soon, you might have more luck with non-investors. Put the yield in % terms and put 'investment' in the title if you want to sell it to investors.

Any suggestions of how this ad could be improved??? I have a few ideas of my own, but would love to hear from you...

I would get the front pic doctored.

Not everyone will see it this way, but to me it shows eight different cladding sections along the side and accross the front, and I would question it.:)

It looks like the TV antenna is falling over (unless you're trying to receive signals from space).

Fix it then crop the pic when done.

Also the left of the house just looks odd. Do those two little windows/openings either side of the main one have a purpose?

Any suggestions of how this ad could be improved???
Yes:
1. Put the suburb in - preferrably the street address too. Or at least something like "only 3kms to the city centre". Toowoomba is a big place it could be out at Drayton or Harlaxton.
2. "Simply a great investment" - get rid of it. It has a 4.75% gross rental yield - which there is nothing "great" about. Its less than average really.
3. The one and only solitary "feature" is A/C. That's nothing to rave about. Can't you add some others?
4. Don't say the kitchen is "neat". This is RE speak for "we got the tenants to clean for 2 days before we took the pictures". It is the same as saying the kitchen is "serviceable". RE speak for it has hot & cold running water.
5. The advert has no "pull". There is no call to action. It sounds like an advert you'd write when it is late on a Friday afternoon after a long week and you just have to put "something" in the window.

If the REA can't do better copy than this, find another who can. ;)

Do those two little windows/openings either side of the main one have a purpose?

Nah, they do that a lot in Toowoomba. We had a house with the same thing :p

I was going to suggest moving the TV antenna also - why would you put it at the front of a house? But the OP only asked for help with the advert. :p

Also the left of the house just looks odd. Do those two little windows/openings either side of the main one have a purpose?

LOL. Those little windows are just sheet glass filling the gaps left when the open verandah was enclosed. The infill panel showing little 'nicks' in the timber is original too. This is very typical of many queenslanders.

No address is a biggie. I always shortlist no-address properties meaning to get back to them to call the agent but never get around to it. Just too many other houses around at the moment.

If it's tenanted there goes the family house buyer market. I love tenanted homes because the tenant is honest about the condition of the house - the REA is in fairyland. I've saved $$ hundreds in builder inspections by talking to the tenant. But most family buyers feel awkward in their space and leave too soon to start imagining living in the place.

The copy is dull and plodding. Needs a few vibrant adjectives in there.

Photo needs to be taken from the other side of the front lawn. The sky needs to be blue not grey. A couple of pots of colourful flowers either side of the stairs will do miracles - it's obvious that guys are marketing this house. :)

I was going to suggest moving the TV antenna also

Yep. Especially as the pole appears to be blocking a window.

But the biggest turn-off is the antenna itself appears to be angled and falling over. All TV stations transmit horizontal or more rarely vertical polarisation (never angled) and the antenna elements orientation should suit.

TV reception is high on a tenant's or residents wish list and if the antenna's falling over or has missing elements, then what else could be wrong?

Back