Cross collateralisation

W

WebBoard

G'day

I'm pretty new to the IP game, new to this forum, and am learning as I go. Our first IP is well under construction and should be ready to let just before chrissy. In order to finance the property we used the equity built up in our own home.

Prior to refinancing for the investment loan we had a LOC on our own home up to 90% of its value ($115K). This was excellent, but of course we found when it came time to shop around for an interest only (IO)loan for our IP, no one would lend us the amount required due to the fact that our house already had this 90% LOC, even though we only owed say 20% at the time. Of course this is understandable and it was obvious that we would have to for go some of the available credit. No problem!

However the bank we were with at the time had a really crap interest rate on IO loans, so we looked elsewhere. Now this is where I think we might have gone wrong!

We ended up refinancing the lot, borrowing $220K for the IP (to cover 100%, costs and all) and refinanced our existing home with the same bank to $48K LOC to live on which well and truly covers the amount we now owe on our own home. However the IO ($220K) loan is secured against the rest of our equity Leaving none (until our equity grows via capital gain).

Wow! That s long winded I'm sorry.

My question is, have we done what is referred to in this forum as the dreaded "CROSS COLLATERALISATION". Should we have kept our original LOC loan and used it for the 20% deposit and claimed this portion of interest as a tax deduction? (I didn't know this was possible at the time)

We were thinking that when the IP has built up enough of its own equity that the bank would release our equity from our own home for another IP, but now I'm nervous! Will they? Have we cross collateralised?

Your thoughts are appreciated

Ta Brendan ;o)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Hi Brendan

In short, yes its likely the loans are cross collateralised.

This is not a problem, unless you wish to move one property or otherwise have dealings withe one of the security props.

While Xcoll prevention is one of my hobby horses, unless its stopping you from doing something today, it not be so bad. Yes there are some issues regarding exposure if you go near bust etc.

ASk your lender when and/or how they can release your home and set them up on separate securities, you appear to have enough equity.

And no you have not gone wrong, simply you have not used a better structure. A slightly imperfect structure is better than none :eek:)

Ta

Rolf
Rolf

Reply: 1.1

Thanks Rolf,

But what are security props???
I don't intend on selling any of my IP's. However may want to sell/upgrade own home in next couple of years.

By the way, I love this forum, I have learned so much over the last couple of days reading people's posts.

Brendan ;o)

Reply: 1.1.1

Hi Brendan

Security props, sorry heheheh, properties used to secure loans.

Upgrading and or moving should generally not present a problem providing that your loans allow for "security portability".

If you are also going to aquire more Ips, it may be opportune to break up the xcoll now b4 you get too far down the track and deeper into the mire.

Search on xcoll and cross-collateralisation. There are a couple of major strings on the subject in the recent past.

Ta
Rolf

Back