Crossfit

Hi all

Has anyone done crossfit classes? Having only a short time before the Tough Mudder challenge in Jan (oh why did I sign up for that!!??) I have heard that cross fit is a good way to get fit quickly. Others have mentioned though that it is a fast track to injury and body breakdown due to pushing your body too hard.
I have been to one class and have a second class tonight, I have to say it is scary going to new classes when everyone around you is younger and fitter. Very intimidating on that front, but I guess we all have to start somewhere.
Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else on the forum has the "crossfit bug" as I am also told that it is addictive!

Thanks
Kylie

Not specifically.
I've done a lot of crossfit style workouts, but not at an 'offial' crossfit gym.

I noticed you're from Melbourne. I know there are a few crossfit gyms popping up these days, but if by any chance you are training at schwartz's crossfit in Glenhuntly then you are in good hands!

It's like anything, there will be good crossfit gyms and bad crossfit gyms. Don't be intimidated by those you train with. Most people are too scared to even attempt one of their workouts, so you're already one up on most people.

It is intense. If you're not careful there is a tendency for injuries. But a good gym will make sure you go through the apprpriate learning and conditioning first.

Have tried Crossfit for 4 months (loved it was and still am addicted) am now on the sidlines having shoulder operations to repair full thickness tear in both shoulder.Not saying it was caused by crossfit, it was a pre existing issue that even my phisio has admitted was helped along by the intensity of some of the workouts .We all have picked up issues over the years from bad posture hunched over computer keyboards and steeringwheels,and running in bad shoes with poor form.
Respect the intensity of the workout******he motto for crossfit is "Forging Elite Fitness", lifting heavy weights short distances with high intensity!!
Mix that with bad form and some pre existing issues and trying to keep up with the younger guys is a receipe for injury.A good coach is essential but they cannot be with you all the time you have to take responsibility for youself , take into consideration your age and be aware of your fittness level (are you an elite athlete?). No fun when you can't exercise or work:eek:
Especially when your aim was to get fit!
I love the crossfit method and culture but will go back with great respect for the intensity knowing that I will have to modify the workouts to suit an old guy with bad shoulder. blown out knee and the list goes on......

i have been a few times to the crossfit in south melbourne and fitzroy - they focused on core basics the 1st few sessions like your abs and posture then they start to really get into the hardcore stuff. couldn't find time to do it later they were guys doing planks like for 5-6 minutes and guys doing stuff on the monkey bars like you think only someone going to the olympics would do.

tough mudder is like british army ops training - man that is really hardcore!

To quote our latest line of tshirts - You do Tough Mudder? How cute!

Be careful with some of the WOD's - especially if it involves burpees. I had a chat to some of the guys at Filex a few years ago when it first came out - I got dragged up on stage as they wanted a few extras and our site was next to the stage. In civvies and no warm up I kept up with majority and bested more than a few regulars. It's a good workout but fitness wise there's a lot more you can do to build solid fitness. (BTW I'm a chick - so with an upperbody based workout I *should* have very little on guys). It is a regime that will help you get "cut" though.

To quote our latest line of tshirts - You do Tough Mudder? How cute!

Be careful with some of the WOD's - especially if it involves burpees. I had a chat to some of the guys at Filex a few years ago when it first came out - I got dragged up on stage as they wanted a few extras and our site was next to the stage. In civvies and no warm up I kept up with majority and bested more than a few regulars. It's a good workout but fitness wise there's a lot more you can do to build solid fitness. (BTW I'm a chick - so with an upperbody based workout I *should* have very little on guys). It is a regime that will help you get "cut" though.

I did an extra workout outsid of my Triathlon scope of training Thursday week ago (was with my wife and a few others just there for moral support :D and a PT trainer who had done a little Xfit). Anyway, we were running up about 150 stairs and at the top doing pushups and at the bottom doing burpees. As I dont use those muscle groups for those specific actions I paid for it for 4 days. I was keeping up with the PT easily, and beating him up the stairs fairly easily too (even after a 60km ride 2hrs earlier).

Just goes to show, even us semi fit blokes can pull up sore from these types of workouts, so just be careful and ease into it. As with anything, moderation and self perceiving your own efforts will prevail.

Oh, and dont believe for a second that Mooze is 'just a chick' - Im sure she can hand it to most blokes @r$e$ any day of the week fitness wise! ;)

pinkboy

Have a look at this-
http://toughmudder.com.au/tough-mudder-boot-camp-training/

I think you'll find it's not as hard as it's made out to be. I had a mate and his wife do the melbourne mudder this year, both with basic fitness levels and they did it quite easily. Because there's SO many people that are on the course at the same time, it took them between 5 and 7 hours to do the whole thing. I'm sure you'll be fine :)

@Mooze that's a funny shirt to have, I also saw a girl at the crossfit class wearing one that said "if I pass out, note down my time!" and thought that was pretty funny too but I'm not real sure it wasn't serious!
So I've been to 3 classes now, and I did enjoy them. I think I will continue and see how I go.
@Stanman, I hope your shoulder pulls up ok. I am a bit older too (nearly 40!) so did wonder if I should be doing this type of workout!
@Compleks, thanks I will try to be very careful!

The paleo diet seems to be mentioned quite a bit around the site that I visit, not too sure about that, I do love my grains!! Any of you doing the paleo along with your training?
jerky

Back