Crystal Ball

While it's true, none of us have a crystal ball, there are times, based on experience, that you can make an educated guess of how things may/may not pan out in the future.

I was looking through some old posts, and came upon this:

We plan to sell some of our portfolio, pay out the debt, and live on the rental return.

The original plan was for me to retire at 46, I'm now forty and believe the next property peak is still some eight years or so away. So perhaps I'll be 48 when I retire, in the meantime we can buy more properties and when the boom comes be further ahead financially.

In regards to needing something to fill our lives. The income should be enough to have overseas trips each year, maybe do some reno's, go to NIDA, get some part roles in productions. Do things I cannot do because I am chained to a job (I like the job but it determines what I can do and when).

I have desires that have been put on hold because at my age I have responsibilities and limited time. Do you pursue your dreams or pay the bills? What can one do with unlimited time?

In regards to being with people our own age when we retire (although less of an issue at 48 compared to 39). I enjoy the company of like minded people regardless of age.

This is from a thread in 2006 discussing Retiring Young. http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23570

For those who joined the forum after 2006, you may not know that Bargain Hunter is my husband. :D

How did things go in reality, compared to the post? Does hubby still post?

He's done a couple recently, as he's been working from home while I recover from my hip replacement. He doesn't really get time elsewise, as he commutes to the city each day.

As for the post, pretty spot on. Eight years from then is now, 2014. He's 49, not 48 as his birthday is halfway through the year, but he can now retire if he wants. He is staying with the job for a while until he sorts himself out. Who knows how long that will be.

We are currently selling one property & have another two earmarked to go. We don't really need to sell many, as most stuff was cf+ at purchase. In saying that though, we are still looking at buying more maybe as well. Depends on the deal.

I saw a Bargain Hunter post today....it was great seeing him still around.

Maybe he is more of a 'lurker' :D
Hehe, he really hasn't been around the forum much in a very long time.

That was very sneaky, I had no clue BH was your hubby.
Congratulations on reaching your end goal:)
You know, it's funny. Originally I was the one who joined the forum & posted regularly, then at one stage I had Lil, sitting on my lap & sometimes posting as me AND Hubby getting on there too. Grrrr, it drove me crazy!

So, they both registered & while we never told anyone just who BH was, all the regulars worked it out really quickly. As for Lil, well her username gave the game away for her. Then life, work & other interests got in the way, he just didn't get time to log on.

You know, it's funny. Originally I was the one who joined the forum & posted regularly, then at one stage I had Lil, sitting on my lap & sometimes posting as me AND Hubby getting on there too. Grrrr, it drove me crazy!

So, they both registered & while we never told anyone just who BH was, all the regulars worked it out really quickly. As for Lil, well her username gave the game away for her. Then life, work & other interests got in the way, he just didn't get time to log on.

Great to hear you achieved your goals, hubby was spot on :) Hopefully you're enjoying the fruits now after all the effort.

I never new BH was your hubby. Did you meet on here?

I remember a thread ages back where you and lil were arguing. It cracked me up mother and daughter going at it online. I had an image of you both sitting on the couch next to each other not talking but arguing online instead :p

Blacky

I never new BH was your hubby. Did you meet on here?

I remember a thread ages back where you and lil were arguing. It cracked me up mother and daughter going at it online. I had an image of you both sitting on the couch next to each other not talking but arguing online instead :p

Blacky

LOL! Depends on when that was. She's living in Melbourne now & has been for a while now.

As for Hubby, we've been married for 26 years, long before SS. We met skating! But Lil met her Hubby here.

Great to hear that BH is on-track with his plan. Great for you both and a neat inspiration for others like myself on here to put hard work into our portfolios whilst in our younger years!

That actually happened, often! Nowadays, Mum still sends me threads to read and have a giggle over :)

I never imagined I'd still be around here after 9 years! But glad I stuck around!

I was actually going to post a thread similar to this the other day, when I was looking at some posts of my own when I was ~14.

Back