CTP Greenslip confusion

Hi all,

When filling in an online quote for CTP greenslip, it asks the question about youngest drivers using the car.

If I put this down as 18 (my son occasionally uses the car), the premium almost doubles - ok, so no surprises there.

My comprehensive insurance, allows anyone to drive the car with my permission, and, in the event of an accident, there is a higher excess if the driver is under 21.

Now, before my son started driving, I let his girlfriend (also 18) drive our
car, but the CTP greenslip wasn't altered or changed etc. to say that there would be a younger person driving the car, and in the certificate and accompanying documentation, there was no mention about named drivers, or young drivers etc.

So my question is, in the event of an accident where my sons girlfriend was driving, would the CTP greenslip still provide cover? If so, why would I pay the extra premium by declaring an 18year old as the youngest driver ?

Cheers

Neil

No CTP won't cover anyone who you haven't declared a driver.

I'm 18 and my greenslip is something like $632, and that's with the car registered in my parent's name.

Reason for this, even though we may be good drivers we have less experience and more accidents. (well that's what i've been told)

Last edited:
that's cause young people are higher risk.

with regards to LilSkater's response - CTP by default doesn't cover at fault driver anyway (with few exceptions). it's an optional cover on the policy which might be not available for under 25s. so check if the difference in price is because of that option being present.

however it will cover anyone else regardless of who was driving:

http://www.gio.com.au/gio/car_insurance/ctp_faqs.html#q10

if you want to know this for sure, your best bet would be to read PDS for your particular insurer, or give them a ring if PDS isn't clear and ask this question. each insurer might be slightly different, although i think the basics of CTP are regulated by state government.

by the way in QLD CTP premium is the same regardless of your age, driving/accident history.

that's cause young people are higher risk.

with regards to LilSkater's response - CTP by default doesn't cover at fault driver anyway (with few exceptions). it's an optional cover on the policy which might be not available for under 25s. so check if the difference in price is because of that option being present.

however it will cover anyone else regardless of who was driving:

http://www.gio.com.au/gio/car_insurance/ctp_faqs.html#q10

if you want to know this for sure, your best bet would be to read PDS for your particular insurer, or give them a ring if PDS isn't clear and ask this question. each insurer might be slightly different, although i think the basics of CTP are regulated by state government.

by the way in QLD CTP premium is the same regardless of your age, driving/accident history.

That's what CTP is exactly for regardless of whos's fault it is. It's illegal not to have in the event that you do hit or kill someone whilst driving. Green slip protects vehicle owners and drivers who are legally liable for personal injury to any other party in the event of a personal injury claim made against them by other road users. However if you were at fault it will not cover your own personal injuries but at all times will cover anyone else injured.

That's what CTP is exactly for regardless of whos's fault it is. It's illegal not to have in the event that you do hit or kill someone whilst driving. Green slip protects vehicle owners and drivers who are legally liable for personal injury to any other party in the event of a personal injury claim made against them by other road users. However if you were at fault it will not cover your own personal injuries but at all times will cover anyone else injured.

thats exactly what i said, CTP covers everyone involved in an accident but the at fault driver ;)

People should always read the appropriate PDS to see what is and isn't covered.

For example, this one
CTP covers everyone's injuries but the driver at fault. it only covers driver at fault under the Lifetime Care and Support (LTCS) which will only cover:
lifelong treatment, rehabilitation and attendant care for people who have a spinal cord injury, a moderate to severe brain injury, multiple amputations, serious burns or blindness from a motor accident in NSW. It does not provide a lump sum payout.

Hmmmm... I hear what you are all saying, but what I don't get is how, if my comprehensive insurance allows me to let anyone drive my car, (and that includes young drivers albeit with a higher excess in the event of a claim)
then clearly I can't have every potential driver listed against the CTP... can I?

Hmmmm... I hear what you are all saying, but what I don't get is how, if my comprehensive insurance allows me to let anyone drive my car, (and that includes young drivers albeit with a higher excess in the event of a claim)
then clearly I can't have every potential driver listed against the CTP... can I?

No, you don't need everyone listed. You just need the age of the youngest driver, so this being your son at 18.

rather than guessing or asking us, you should call the insurer and ask them what's going to happen to your cover if the driver of your car is younger than the age listed on the CTP policy and has an accident. than you'll be 100% sure ;)

No, you don't need everyone listed. You just need the age of the youngest driver, so this being your son at 18.

Good point !

rather than guessing or asking us, you should call the insurer and ask them what's going to happen to your cover if the driver of your car is younger than the age listed on the CTP policy and has an accident. than you'll be 100% sure ;)

Point taken !

Cheers everyone.

Back