cumputer trading funds

does anyone know any funds that use computer software to do trend trading? I have heard that there are some funds doing that, and they are actually making profit even when market fall, and that the computer programs can trade much better than human fund managers.

Anyone know any in Australia or Asia?

does anyone know any funds that use computer software to do trend trading? I have heard that there are some funds doing that, and they are actually making profit even when market fall, and that the computer programs can trade much better than human fund managers.

Anyone know any in Australia or Asia?

can i offer a piece of genuine advice: a fool and their money are soon parted.
Do you understand the process? are you familiar with the computer algarithms used to process arbitrage?

Stop being lazy and looking for a pre-programed solution. Why do you think Madoff got away with what he was doing (and there is a new one breaking now, another 50billion odd), why do you think storm got away with what it was doing.

Its your money, if you are not prepared to do the hard yards to achieve outperformance, stick it in an index fund (i mean this in the nicest way).

geez,
what happened to you today? Just feel like giving someone a lecture and a piece of your mind or it's that special time of the month? I mean this in the nicest way too. :)

All i'm asking is if anyone know about these type of funds. I reserached some of these funds and their return is positive even in the last year when all Austraklian Superfunds were losing loads of money in equities.

Also, I dont see how your advice of putting in index fund will be any safer. DOW Jones is now retesting November 20 low.

fund accessible from Australia. I think one of them is Man Investment Australia. Man investment is from London.
They are one of the best funds in the world.

does anyone here have investment in Man OM IP funds?

hehe yah im a guy (but maybe im a new age sensitive guy, so maybe i can have that time of the month:D)

Anway i wasnt trying to be insulting, but sometimes its better to have a shock factor than to be all nice and wishy washy (i would prefer you to dislike me but having saved money).

The point is you MUST understand what you are investing in (and by this i dont mean just reading the nice glossy brochure) and especially the inherent risks (which are not likely to be fully disclosed in marketing material).

I have seen so many people burnt over the years due to investment naivity.

If you want a good background on the risks of computer algarithms in investment decisions read about the catalysts of the 1987 stock market crisis.

I personally dont know what all the fuss is about index funds. To me its a bit like property investing, some people with expert knowledge and true street savvy will out out perform property market averages, the majority who just buy and hold will do very nicely due to time in the market, and the more gullable who think they know better than they really do and try to time the markets will underform over the long term.

Most active funds managers UNDERPERFORM index funds over the long term after transaction costs and tax effect (which by the way doesnt need to be disclosed under current regulations) are factored into account.

geez,
what happened to you today? Just feel like giving someone a lecture and a piece of your mind or it's that special time of the month? I mean this in the nicest way too. :)

All i'm asking is if anyone know about these type of funds. I reserached some of these funds and their return is positive even in the last year when all Austraklian Superfunds were losing loads of money in equities.

And what is their performance over 5yrs, 10yrs, 15yrs? did it out perform over longer periods as well. Or werent they in existence that long.
One of the ways funds management protect their reputation is to shut down underperforming funds.

I also went down this track in my younger days. I was caught in 2003. I invested in a spread of different funds management companies after reading the investment literature. The most annoying factors to me was the closure of a fund which didnt allow an investment cycle to the completed.

does anyone here have investment in Man OM IP funds?

Man is only the top level manager.....

I do have money in several series, and I must say they have performed quite well (rather surprisingly some great performance in the past 6 months).

Several things you need to look into:
1. because of the multiple layers of management, you pay for quite a few people.
2. there is 2% exit fee if you need to exit early.
3. any fund that performed 11% gain in the past 6 months has to get a label of "that sounds too good to be true.....I wonder if.....":confused:
4. Depending on the "package" on offer at the time, you will get different underlying managers - the main ones being Glenwood, AHL and RMF. All of these are subsidiaries of Man Investments (from memory). Of these, I think AHL is the only really computer based one (I think I read somewhere there's only like 30 employees). They also used to use Bayswater Asset Mgmt, but they were dropped after poor performance.
5. You can purchase AHL units directly (I have not gone down this path) - minimum purchase is $20k.

On the plus side:
1. capital protection offered by NAB or Westpac
2. my oldest invesment with them is 11 years old (they haven't gone bust, or got busted :))
3. liquidity is monthly, but good compared to products from MacQ and others. Have had one occasion to liquidate, and was processed without hassle.
4. exit fee is not payable if held to maturity

On a different note: the funds are domiciled in the Cook Islands. So far the islands have been stable....

Cheers,

The Y-man

Back