Cups of tea with dad/son

Son Turns Dead Dad into Teapot

"Those cups of tea with dad were special and when he died I really missed them."

John Lowndes has no problem stirring up happy memories of his dad after putting his ashes in an urn with a difference.

He found that when Ian died 10 years ago aged 75, one of the things he missed most was their tradition of putting the world to rights over a nice cuppa.

_Son_Teacup_Dad.jpg

So he brewed up the idea of giving him leaf eternal by having his ashes mixed with clay to make a teapot.

He approached local potter Neil Richardson who made two teapots - in case one breaks.

Believe it or not, it is possible to be turned into a diamond of sorts when you die and are cremated these days. Somehow they compress the carbon in your ashes to such high pressures that they form a gemstone, in the same way that coal is compressed over time to form diamonds. Guess where...only in America! :rolleyes:

Believe it or not, it is possible to be turned into a diamond of sorts when you die and are cremated these days. Somehow they compress the carbon in your ashes to such high pressures that they form a gemstone, in the same way that coal is compressed over time to form diamonds. Guess where...only in America! :rolleyes:

i could not think of a better way to celebrate and inlaw's death.LOL:D

Believe it or not, it is possible to be turned into a diamond of sorts when you die and are cremated these days.

i know - and it's already in my will that i want to be turned into a red diamond. can't have clear - only red, blue or yellow.

can just see it now "omg, i've just dropped great granman down the sink!!"

I believe there has been a thread dealing with this topic. One of the forum members had this done with a loved ones ashes. I think it's beautiful. :)

I think the diamond idea is beautiful too. Touch wood I never have to decide a colour for any of my immediate family ...

Hubby's mother wanted on third of the ashes of her husband (his dad) buried under his precious rose garden. Most people would just sprinkle the ashes around the base of the rose bushes, but not my MIL. She "forced" hubby to divide up the ashes from the original box and put one third into a roughly ten inch length of plumbing pipe which was sealed at one end. Once done, he sealed the other end and she buried the tube in the rose garden :eek:.

I hate to think that one day when the house is sold down the track that someone will possibly dig up the mysterious tube to see what is inside :eek:.

Hubby didn't enjoy doing it, but there was no getting out of it. What MIL wants, MIL gets :rolleyes:.

Definately the diamond idea for me. Red.

The teapot - I just cant help thinking though, if the tea sometimes has a little grit in it from tea leaves, or even from the bags, well, it might not be the tea!

It was Ruby in this thread. She got the idea from Lizzie.

ooooo "goosebumps". i missed that thread because of not having internet access for several months. what a wonderful for ruby. must be able to get clear diamonds now, as when i researched it years ago could only do coloured (still want to be racy red!).

what a fantastic thing for ruby ... coincidences? no such thing.

don't know that i could do a teapot tho - still a fabulous idea

My sisters MIL died some years ago and the siblings haven't been able to decide what to do with her. Some suggested scattering her ashes where the father was scattered. He was a fisherman and got scattered off his favourite fishing spot - MIL hated the water and couldn't swim so others in the family poo pooed that idea as she wouldn't have liked it. One sibling has hung onto the ashes for years and won't let the others have them until they all agree what to do with them. Sick of her 'being boss' about it all they 'played for the ashes' in a game of grass cricket at their family xmas get together a while a go. Someone else has possession now but they still can't decide what to do with them so another 'ashes' test is on the cards in the future. :p

Now if only they do cremations in the Kimberlys. Then my wife can have that pink Argyle diamond she's always wanted.:D

Project 1080.

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths.

My sisters MIL died some years ago and the siblings haven't been able to decide what to do with her.
Deciding what to do with ashes can be such a difficult decision, something which you certainly don’t have with a burial.

I think it’s very important not to make any rash decisions though (but several years isn't that rash :rolleyes:). I’m thankful that the crematorium had a 3 month for free deal where they put the ashes in their wall of remembrance. It gave us time to think, and all decide on something suitable.

I spoke to a lot of people and found it interesting that quite a few friends said they regretted scattering ashes because they felt they didn’t really have anywhere special to go. We had thought of scattering his ashes, but my eldest son strongly opposed this and it’s hard getting everyone to agree. He also didn’t want him interned at the crematorium (with strangers :eek:). Anyway to cut a long story short…..

After a cup of ashes was sent to the US for my diamond. The remaining ashes have been placed in our garden. I know ashes do seem a bit creepy, so I didn’t want them sitting in the house freaking people out. I also didn’t want them scattered or buried at home, as I’d sooner take them with me if we sell. So the rest are in a special container I found on the net. http://www.e-gardentreasures.com.au/index.html gotta love the net!!! We can always decide on something else later on if we want.

I will add, all decisions were made based on it being our child……totally different decisions will and have been made for parents/other family members. Although I don’t think I’d ever go down the teapot route! But each to their own.

Oh and lizzie, good idea sticking to the red diamond……they are cheaper than the clear and blue. :)

Ashes

Have given hubby and the kids strict instructions.
1. Cremated
2. Find a local firework factory
3. Get the biggest f off firework you can - thinking similar to the dragon one from Lord of the Rings
4. Pack ashes into firework
5. Let off in appropriate place.
Not sure if fireworks legal in Australia but definately OK in the UK where I am from so may have to be over there

I think the tea pot idea is beautiful.
I may start drinking tea with my son hoping that he would make a tea pot out of me later on :D.

Sick of her 'being boss' about it all they 'played for the ashes' in a game of grass cricket at their family xmas get together a while a go. Someone else has possession now but they still can't decide what to do with them so another 'ashes' test is on the cards in the future. :p
What a wonderful way to remember her. I think they should stay undecided and keep getting together for cricket; that sounds like an awesome legacy. :D
3. Get the biggest f off firework you can
LOL

Back