"currency, time v/ money"

HI fellow forumites, Long time since I started a thread!

During discussion in the chat room, the following was said:

"WE have two things in this world with which we can pay for things, (IE Two types of currency) one is time, the other money. You can pay for information with money, or you can pay for it with time (researching). ALL the information is out there, you just have to go find it."

It was said in the context of discussion about whether or not to attend seminars.

I was wondering what other forumites thought about this?

asy :eek:)

"Don't forget what happened to the guy who suddenly got everything he ever wanted...
He lived happily ever after.
(Willy Wonka).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Further thought:

The premise was:
"WE have two things in this world with which we can pay for things, (IE Two types of currency) one is time, the other money. You can pay for information with money, or you can pay for it with time (researching). ALL the information is out there, you just have to go find it."

I guess what I was trying to say with regard to seminars is that all the information is out there if you are willing to go look for it.

It's a matter of leveraging yourself.

If you earn, say, $20 per hour, and work an 8 hour day, you earn $160 per day. Thus if you are willing to pay $160 for information which would take you a day to find is that good use of your time. If on the other hand, you earn $500 per day, and spend $160 on information which would take a day to find is THAT good use of your time?

I guess, what I'm saying is, before you spend Lots of $$ on a seminar, try to think about how much of YOUR time that money would buy, and could you find the information yourself in less time. Also, I have found that if you go searching for information you can tend to steer yourself to things which suit you more.

If, after that you still think the seminar is the most effective use of your currency (time or money) then GO FOR IT!!

Anyway, I hope this starts some discussion.

asy :eek:)

"Don't forget what happened to the guy who suddenly got everything he ever wanted...
He lived happily ever after.
(Willy Wonka).

Reply: 1.1

Good point Asy. I agree and I think the key part for me is about leverage. If I attend a seminar I want it to take me to the next level (or three) without the sweat factor. That is if I pay $2000 for a seminar I expect that seminar to give me skills or knowledge that I can implement instantly and make returns on. I expect to be paid 5 fold from my expense/investment. (i.e. $2000 out ....$10000 in). I also expect that level jump to be immediate giving me knowledge or skills the majority of the investing community doesn't have. I can wallow around making mistakes and learning or I can leverage off someone elses knowledge/ experience to get there ASAP. I will only ever go to seminars where I know the individual and know I will get value for money. (or have heard great things about that person from others I respect).
I will not go to generic seminars where the stuff is easily found by reading a book or spending minimal time.
All this is only me I'm sure other's have their views.
Enjoy
AD

"The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for."
-Allan K. Chalmers

Back