current market 2012

With 2012 well under way it will be interesting to see what happens to the Property Markets across Australia this year.
Most of the indicators would suggest that in 2011 the property markets had bottomed and we should see steady growth throughout most of Australia for the remainder of the year.
So as an investor what does that mean for you?
Firstly if you are buying into the bottom of the market there is a lot of potential upside. In other words if you buy well there will be a great opportunity for you to increase your equity as the market improves.
Secondly as the market has remained tight for the last 12 months with limited construction taking place across Australia, we have again seen a shortage of rental properties. So that means that properties are achieving record rents in many of our capital cities across Australia.
Where are the opportunities?
It is true that there are opportunities throughout Australia. However one of my picks for 2012 is Brisbane. The reason for this is because of the floods that occurred around 12 months ago, along with a lack of confidence in the Queensland government, have led to a serious lack of confidence in the local economy and that has fed into the Property Market. Because of this, it is my view that the Brisbane market is undervalued compared to most other cities in Australia. For instance you will pay a lot less for property compared to Melbourne or Sydney and yet rents are about the same with an inner city 1 bedroom apartment commanding more than $400 per week.
I think that with a change of government in NSW, the property market appears to be improving. However it is still an expensive market. In Melbourne the property market has been steady for most of 2011 and there are signs that there will be improvement in 2012. Most other property markets we currently have under review.
I think we will need to watch Europe carefully in the first quarter. I think that it is highly likely that a number of countries will default on their debt. Although I think it is unlikely to have a major effect on the Australian economy, there is a strong chance that it could lead to a liquidity problem in our finance markets making construction finance tight in 2012.

Rental shortages

Ther fact is that in many cities including inner city Brisbane have record renal prices and there is a shortage due to the lack of development.

sydneys west and south west, where I invest, appears to have had a capital gain of 5% in 2011. Rents are up probally close to 10 % IMO.

I expect strong growth in values and rental return in 2012.

Interest rates cuts will make housing more affordable and shartage of properties will insrease demand for rental properties. This is what I see for the Sydney west/south west property market this year.

sydneys west and south west, where I invest, appears to have had a capital gain of 5% in 2011. Rents are up probally close to 10 % IMO.

I expect strong growth in values and rental return in 2012.

Interest rates cuts will make housing more affordable and shartage of properties will insrease demand for rental properties. This is what I see for the Sydney west/south west property market this year.

That can't be right... both yield AND capital growth!

Mt Druitt 2770 :eek:nly a handful of houses for under $300 pw, 12 months ago there were plenty at $270pw. South west Sydney has also seein significant rise in rents. I havnt compiled stats, just go by memory

Western Sydney will be my next purchase mid 2012 - possibly one in Mt Druitt and a second Lakemba / Parramatta / etc.

Just need to get the cashflow sorted over the next 4 months.....

Vaughan in what respect - is there no longer any good stock on the market or have the prices gone up?

Also when did the window close? I thought that it would slow down a bit now that the first home buyer grants had ceased.

Thought so. Will just make sure that I look hard for them when I am ready. I can't see all of them disappearing that quickly in the current climate.

CHam, still plenty of bargains out there!

Depends on what you mean by bargains, and what kind of yield you think is good.

The low hanging fruit has gone: places in nice parts selling for $220k and renting for $340 to $360 pw after a small reno.

What's left are places selling for +$240k and renting for $280 to $300 pw after reno. Better yield than most parts of Sydney, but not positive cashflow.

The only places left that might get +cf are those that need a big reno (new kitchen, new bathroom, fix holes in walls, paint inside out, floors polish, etc). They are really easy to find: they look and smell really bad (might even be fire damaged) and look like really hard work.

The market has gone up, mainly because people are jumping in prepared to pay whatever they have to join the fun.

Rents have gone up too, but probably about to peak IMHO and may drop slightly in 2012.

Remember that out here the profit margins are thin, rents are small compared to outgoings (a whole $300 per week's rent is consumed completely by one plumber call to fix a tap) so be careful not to pay too much up front and be really tight with reno budgets.

I thought that it would slow down a bit now that the first home buyer grants had ceased.

It would have slowed down except all the media is now hyping the area up -- that's how you know about it, right? Otherwise you wouldn't even be considering it.

It would have slowed down except all the media is now hyping the area up -- that's how you know about it, right? Otherwise you wouldn't even be considering it.

Thanks for the constructive comments vaughan.

Actually the reason I have been looking in this area is as a result of my own research and via this forum. And I have been looking since mid last year.

I haven't seen anything in the media......so not sure the need for the smart comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. I'm seeing that Vaughan.

The hype has started (just read this and other forums) and everyone now thinks Western Sydney is the place to be. These predictions of CG are often self fulfilling prophecies. A magazine says it's going to grow and everyone heads there. There have been a few magazine articles and newspaper stories about Blacktown LGA.

People who haven't bought in the area before think "WOW! $250K for a house, I'll buy it".

Harder (but not impossible) to find a bargain. Keep looking CHam.

wow $300 to change a tap washer - never go to that plumber! Do it yourself for under $10 - including tools. Its so easy.

Believe me, alot of home renos you can do yourself and you will save heaps. Eg paint your house inside and out in 3 days. Get relos and friends to help - one brush each- put on a barby. Planning is important.

Things like kitchen and bathrooms are more tricky but not impossible. I installed a flat pack kitchen which cost about $1200 (including sink and fittings) in 2007 - still going strong.

You can polish floors DIY.

There are so many cheap houses out west, it makes me wonder why the media goes on about housing affordabilty. You can check with RP Data before you buy to see which houses in your neighbourhood are Public Housing - and steer clear of them

Back