Curtains or Blinds?

Just putting the final touches to a brand new IP and was wondering if there was a preference between blinds and curtains.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers
Derrick

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

In my opinion good quality slimline blinds are smart. The PVC timber look alike warp, the verticals need constant repairing and curtains cost for decent one

Try slim line about 12 mm in silver looks great Regards Frank
Ambition is the lock motivation the key

Reply: 1.1

Hi Derrick,

I also prefer the smart look of slimline and vertical blinds. I haven't had any maintenance problems with either to date. I use verticals on ceiling to floor windows and slimline on half-wall windows.
<p>
Blinds can also reflect heat away keeping rooms reasonably cool in Summer.
<p>
J. Parker also commented on this issue awhile back.

http://bne003w.server-web.com/read?18637,30

Regards, Mike

Reply: 2

Just spent a touch over $3000 for curtains, after costing it all up curtains are only a little bit more expensive than blinds, and in my opinion look better. Also the perception to tenants are that blinds are a minimum requirement for a property whereas curtains are a luxury. Try and stay away from custom made curtains, thats what killed me, I had to get 3 curtains with a 300cm drop, 1 of them is $350. Getting a blind with a drop that size would have cost me more than the curtain.
Also I cannot stand the advertising most blind retailers like luxaflex use eg: 50% off, yet they never tell you what the original price is, either that or its always 50% off, they treat the public like they are complete fools, obviously some are because they keep using these tactics.
One final thing, Don't bother buying the $30 blinds that you see in Bunnings or Big W. I originally bought 2 and ended up using them for Drop sheets, as that was all they were good for.

Reply: 3

A few years ago I had to decide on what to use for my rental property and we chose the slim line blinds.

I obtained a few quotes and also did some of my own snooping and found that I could save a substantial amount of money by buying wholesale NOT retail and installing myself.

Regards

Peter

Reply: 3.1

Hi there.
I think my decision would be based on who would be renting my IP. If it was a prop aimed at dinks or single working class, I would go with blinds. If, however the IP was for a family, then curtains would definately be the go. Why. Just ask anyone with children just how long a set of blinds lasted in their house! They're just not child friendly. This is what I've been told by many a parent.
gunna

Reply: 4

Thanks you all for your comments.

Regards
Derrick.

Reply: 4.1

Howdy there,

don't know about the $3000 figure mentioned above, I had verticals installed in 2 villa units (3 bedrooms each with big slider window for rear) at $1500 (it would have been around $750 each) with a big name company (Vista) & almost 2 years on I'm happy with their durability...

For something more glamorous I may even consider venetians (ie. timber) or curtains (for that extra feel of luxury)...

Cheers,

Manny.

Reply: 4.1.1

Maybe its just me.. But I find Vertical Blinds so tacky these days.. Very
impractical with kids around as well.

Duncan

Reply: 4.1.1.1

> From: Duncan Margetts <[email protected]>

Hey Duncan

> Maybe its just me.. But I find Vertical Blinds so tacky these days..
Very
> impractical with kids around as well.

I've seen lots and lots of verticals in the magazine recently. Reckon
it's a definite second coming for them

Jas

Reply: 4.1.1.1.1

I like timber venetians, does anyone know how much these cost relative to verticals, and curtains.

Reply: 4.1.1.1.1.1

Hehe,

I purchased from a Factory outlet here in Sydney a full set of rubber backed, tab topped (x-Freedom Furniture) blinds for my whole house (6 large windows) for $125.

I must admit however that they were selling them out at 50% off the already discounted price. But there are other areas that you can get good cheap blinds from, so have a hunt around some factory outlets. The outlet I got mine from has closed down now, but was located in Alexandria.

Cheers,
Robert

Get your Property Inspection Reports @
http://www.CreativeFinance.com.au

Reply: 4.1.1.1.1.2

Michael Croft likes the timber lookalikes, available from Bunnings or similar. I believe the statement was something like "tenants love them".

Very vague figures- I think the last set I bought was about $180 for 2 m wide and 2 m drop.

Bamboo looked OK, and good price, but not in the size I needed.

For Canberra (where I am), insulation is nearly zilch- but I do think they look good.

Reply: 4.1.1.1.1.2.1

Hi All,
I love the look of timber venetians and have them in the place I rent. I certainly wouldn't buy them for my IP's because they are a nightmare to clean. I'd buy timber look venetians so that cleaning could be as simple as hosing or dunking in the bath. You can't do that with wood!
Regards,
Crystal

Back