Cuts in timber floors: replace boards or just sand/polish?

Should I replace the cut floor boards or just putty/sand/polish the floors?

• YES

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • NO

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi all,

I am currently renovating one of my IPs and planning to polish the hardwood timber floors. When the house was last re-stumped years ago, they just cut straight through the floors to gain access to the sub-floor as access from the sides is limited. There used to be carpet on top so this wasn't noticeable. There is a single man hole cut out in each room which cuts through the boards both vertically and horizontally. The vertical cuts are along the joins. Some of the cuts run from wall to wall (around 3-4 boards wide) so they are long man holes!! The gap between the joins is about 5mm but greater in some areas.

I'm currently tossing up on whether I should replace the cut boards or just leave them. I called one floor sander to give me a quote who advised I just fill the gaps with putty. He said replacing the boards will be expensive as they don't make these boards anymore, so I would need to source used ones from a salvage yard. He estimates around $500-$800 worth of timber is needed. It will cost me about $1200 to get the boards filled/sanded/polished.

Has anyone had timber floors in similar condition and just done the patch job approach? What are the results like? I've been told the cuts will still be visible as the putty isn't the same colour as the timber. I'm just weighing up the cost vs return. To me I don't think replacing the boards will yield a higher return. The cuts are generally in places where either a bed or rug would normally be placed, so at the end of the day it most likely won't be visible once furnished.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Ozi

Hey Ozi

Your end paragraphe answered your quesiton I think.

Unless we are talking high end property where the cuts will detract on sale simply make as good as possible and cal lit that.

Trying to hide or repair with matching filler never works IMO. Better to accept it is a feature of the age "patina" and that overall the polished floor is better than worn carpet.

Peter 14.7

I tried to answer your poll, but I couldn't. You've given me two options and a 'yes or no' answer.

Anyway, I would go with the patch job. I can't say without seeing the property, but it would probably be a waste of money and effort.

BR

Hey Ozi

Your end paragraphe answered your quesiton I think.

Unless we are talking high end property where the cuts will detract on sale simply make as good as possible and cal lit that.

Trying to hide or repair with matching filler never works IMO. Better to accept it is a feature of the age "patina" and that overall the polished floor is better than worn carpet.

Peter 14.7

Absolutely.

Dave

What are the results like? I've been told the cuts will still be visible as the putty isn't the same colour as the timber.
Ozi,

Then buy some putty that is! ;) Putty comes in all sorts of different colours, and if its not quite right you can actually add a powder colour to it to darken it to be as close to the floorboard colour as possible.

I would definately just bog and polish. You probably won't even notice the cuts, particularly if they do end up under rugs etc.

Cheers mate,
Michael.

Imperfections are part of a timber floor. If you want a spotless surface then timber mightn't suit.

I would bog it and not even waste effort trying to exactly match the colour. Sand it all and enjoy it.

I have bought secondhand Kauri Pine at $40pm which is now extinct, to replace pieces that the borers had rendered spongy only to find after sanding it came up an enitely different colour. A later room we just bought Cypress Pine for much less to find it a better match except for the knots.

At the end of the day we walked on it and enjoyed the overall effect of the golden wood colour.

I have seen other people with floor made of "mixed hardwoods" which were never meant to be sanded that did sand them only to discover odd pieces of all colour and hue laid with no discernable pattern which would frustrate a purist but became a funny talking point.

So I would just choose the most solid and cheapest solution and leave it for the tenants to enjoy. They wouldn't care if you gave them Lino!

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies :) I was leaning towards the patch job too, just needed some assurance ;) At the end of the day, the tenants would appreciate the polished boards over the urine-odoured carpet I'm sure, even if there are some imperfections. If I was going to sell the property then I would probably replace them for maximum wow factor, but this will be a long term keeper.

MichaelWhyte, thanks for the tip on colouring putty. I wasn't aware of this. I'm just going by what the floor sander told me. I will ask him about this.

You can bog just about anything these days! :D

Cheers,
Ozi

Back