Cyclone Yasi heading for Cairns

Latest image from the BOM

IDQ65001.gif

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml

Animated Sat images from NOAA (very colourful and scary )
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemiloops/shirgmscol.html

My thoughts go out to anyone in the path, I hope you have all taken the necessary precautions.

I spoke to one of our QSs up that way this morning. He was packing up the family and the camper trailer and heading south for a week. He said there is no point hanging around because when it hits there is nothing anyone can do and the electricity goes off, so he reckons going on an impromptu holiday is the best idea.

Yep, we have 2 IP's in Cairns, on the Northern Beaches...have fingers crossed that they hold up OK, and the tenants are safe...Fingers crossed...

They're copping their right whack - we went to Cairns for 14 days in Aug last year and came home after 11 because it never stopped friggin' raining.

So, I asked god to send down the worst weather of all time to "get them back" - and he/she/it did. :D

isn't Sunfish from Cairns? SS probably isn't on his mind right now

Townsville I believe....but even so, they will cop their fair share I imagine...

There are quite a few SS memebers up that way, or own property there. Sailor, who hasn't posted here for ages has her PPOR right on the beach-front at Machans beach..literally metres from the waters edge....I hope she has evacuated...

Yeah im in the Ville, done as much as I can, all got left now is to have a few beers and wait to see what happens... no point stressing to much, only makes is worst, take it as it comes and what else can one do...

I will keep you guys posted if power stays up tomorrow arvo/night....

Now category 5 and heading straight for Innisfail. Poor Innisfail, wasn't Larry enough? The scary thing is that the eye alone of Yasi is the same size as the whole of cyclone Larry.:eek:

Watching Today show, the reporter says "This is not another media beat, this is really, really serious"

Unfortunately, some of the younger media faces are going to see what a catastrophe really looks like.

Hopefully in the future the hyperbole will be reserved for events that fit the description.

Good luck to all, take care and play it safe.

Well we just spoke to our rellies, they have secured everything, much as they can, (Cairns...inland away from the coast) and Mary my sil who is Cairns born/bred woman, seen it all up there said this a serious one, they will all head off to the emergency gathering centre. This is a force and a half. I hope everyone is safe, and the cyclone regs for building might help some places, but we can always rebuild, I just hope everyone gets thru okay.

Fingers crossed for them all.

QLD is sure under the pump.

very scary - and emotional.

personally i'd have batten everything down and left town with the family and pets yesterday as nothing is to be gained by staying. i have a friend who wen thru cyclone tracey when her kids were still in nappies and it was a horrible horrible experience.

I live in Cairns & bordering up windows & front door today. We're not in the storm surge area, but my 2 IPs are. Shops ran out of essential items mid to late yesterday - the panic buying started early. Fuel stations had to refuel 3 times yesterday with cars banked up for 100m outside. Due to hit Innisfail just south of us, but with Category 5 now Cairns will still cop a decent flogging I think - the worst cyclone we've had in 30 years!

I hope everyone stays safe.

When we were in Darwin we went into the Cyclone Tracy exhibit in the museum. They have a little room you enter, close the door and it is pitch black and they play a recording of the cyclone. Absolutely terrifying.

We lasted 5 minutes....
Marg

Back