D mould / Half moon wall trim - best way to remove

I can't seem to find anything on this ..

I have a old style block of units and all the wall have that crappy D moulding on them to hide the joints.

Is there a cheap way to get rid of them ? So it looks more like a flat gyprock type finish ?

How can I make this look more modern without replacing every wall in the block?

Any suggestions ? ( oh yes the walls are fibro cement is about 1960)

rip the molding off and plaster over it..?
or rip the sheet off and put gyprock over it, or rip the molding off and gyprock over the wall

well taking the molding off and putting gyprock straight over it sounds like the best method then
or leave it as is

I can't seem to find anything on this ..

I have a old style block of units and all the wall have that crappy D moulding on them to hide the joints.

Is there a cheap way to get rid of them ? So it looks more like a flat gyprock type finish ?

How can I make this look more modern without replacing every wall in the block?

Any suggestions ? ( oh yes the walls are fibro cement is about 1960)

rip the molding off and plaster over it..?
or rip the sheet off and put gyprock over it, or rip the molding off and gyprock over the wall
There is no easy/cheap fix to this, you could take the mouldings off and sheet with plaster, but this will require removing all the arcs and skirting boards as well.

The problem then is the extra thicknesses will mean the door jambs and window reveals will be too narrow for the arcs to fit back on, either requiring some packing pieces to be made or a specially made arc.

Even if you removed the Fibro (about 5 or 6 mm thick) you would be replacing it with 10mm plaster board and would run into trouble again.

I would just paint her up and forget it. :)

I would just paint her up and forget it. :)

I agree with battler's whole post. If you "really" hate the half round small strips, you could make a feature of them, by replacing with half inch thick, three inch wide battens, like a 30's look.

But will it get you extra rent? I don't think so.

Back