DA and CC charges from Architect

Hi Everyone,

I plan to build 2 villas on my land which located in Inner West, Sydney. Now I have a quote from an architect for the DA and CC. His charge includes $8000 for DA documents and $7000 for CC Documentation and Tender Preparation. However, those fees won't include cost for Council charges and other charges by consultants/engineers such as Surveyor, Structural Engineers and Hydraulic Engineer etc. The Structural Engineers would cost another $8000 for the CC. Does those figures sound fair? Any suggestion would be appreciated! Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

I plan to build 2 villas on my land which located in Inner West, Sydney. Now I have a quote from an architect for the DA and CC. His charge includes $8000 for DA documents and $7000 for CC Documentation and Tender Preparation. However, those fees won't include cost for Council charges and other charges by consultants/engineers such as Surveyor, Structural Engineers and Hydraulic Engineer etc. The Structural Engineers would cost another $8000 for the CC. Does those figures sound fair? Any suggestion would be appreciated! Thanks!

Probably need a little more information on what you are trying to build and where...I mean, if you were building 2 mansions on the side of a cliff, then yeah, those prices seem ok...
other than that...seems a little steep (quite steep actually for a 2 unit devvy)

Boods

Probably need a little more information on what you are trying to build and where...I mean, if you were building 2 mansions on the side of a cliff, then yeah, those prices seem ok...
other than that...seems a little steep (quite steep actually for a 2 unit devvy)

Boods

Thanks Boods! One villa is 2 story 4 bed and the other one is 1 story 3 bed. The site is a corner block and gently slopes towards the street. Which price range do you think it's reasonable for the architect's charge?

Is it a low, middle or luxury end development? Have you tried project builders? They are reasonable for low to medium market and you will avoid most of those dollars you have been quoted.

Is it a low, middle or luxury end development? Have you tried project builders? They are reasonable for low to medium market and you will avoid most of those dollars you have been quoted.

Thanks Rockstar! The finish would be low to middle. One of the major problem from project builder is that most of their floor plans are fixed and costs a lot to modifiy. Some of them just don't build villas. Do you know any project builder good at villa homes?

(quite steep actually for a 2 unit devvy) Boods

Martin 2F
I agree with Boods prices are too dear for a 2 unit development. Now how about you ring 2 others for quotes.

Then look at getting a builder that gets his own plans draw up 'in house' because he can give you an estimate before he draws up plans.

You could alternatively price 'reliable' draftsmen as they may be able to do the plans to so you can get prices from 3 builders.

Cheers
Sheryn

Adding to Sheryn's point, I too agree that you would be better off using an experienced draftsman instead of an architect.
You see,the problem with (most, not all) architects is that they are always trying to design the next landmark building, usually at the expense of the poor client. In doing this, building costs are not taken into account and buildability goes out the window. It doesn't take much to rack up a small fortune in consulting engineer's fees because the architect decided he wanted to have the dwelling built with a certain material or insisted on cantilevered slabs everywhere...

A good draftie will know how to design a building to be cost effective. Ask Aaron Sice on these forums, as he's pretty cluey when it comes to this sort of thing...

Boods

Thanks for all the replys, guys! I am waitting another quote from a local draftman. Hope it would be a reasonanle price. Also plan to talk to some project builders currently build in that area in the coming weeks.

Back