Hi all, please help.
We're doing this for the first time and would like to know something.
Purpose: to build a duplex villa on our 696sqm gently sloping towards the street

Question: Who is involved in a team of professions to prepare DA application and get the approval. What do they do in their roles?
So far, I've figured out that a site survey needs to be done first.

thanks heaps!

first up you need to vicit your local council and get the following DEP, LEP and such. It will be on their web site along with the DA process flow chart showing you the whole process.

U need a survey plan, floor plan, site plan, 2 x elevations, 2 x sections as a miniuium. once you go for a CC it gets more in depth and detailed.

http://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au/index.asp?id=3181

Hi all, please help.
We're doing this for the first time and would like to know something.
Purpose: to build a duplex villa on our 696sqm gently sloping towards the street

Question: Who is involved in a team of professions to prepare DA application and get the approval. What do they do in their roles?
So far, I've figured out that a site survey needs to be done first.

thanks heaps!

if i were you i would find a good town planner/consultant, pay them for their time and pick their brains. whether or not you end up using them after is a separate issue but the time they save you will more than pay for their fees considering your holding costs etc

im a bit worried you havent done more research prior to buying the site though, are you certain you have taken all factors and costs into accoutn when doing your DD?

good luck btw, hope it turns out great!

also, to state the obvious you'll need a surveyor, he/she can prob give you a lot of advice as well.

You have a good size block.

And its a real bonus that your land falls to the front.

Some councils give alot of headaches if building a duplex on a falling back slope.

Main thing you need is a surveyor and a architect.Thats pretty much it to start.Then when the DA is approved the architect then gives the plans to the engineer and see if you need piers/what footings/beams etc.

If you got alot of trees try cut them down before you do a survey plan

Thats the expensive way of doing things.

for the DA I would not go near an architect. A good draftsperson can sit down with you and achieve the same goals.
You should or the council will have the orig. survey plan of when the existing house was built, get that and supply it to the draftsperson.

Once the Da is approved find a builder and get the draftsperson and the builder together. The builder will know if he needs an engineer to approve piers and such. You cover a lot of engineering when doing your builders lic, course at tafe.

Good draftsperson's have done a min of Architectural tech at tafe and a few would have done architecture at uni. Either way, both should know how to design and get your ideas on paper correctly for both a DA and a CC.

Surveyor-Architech-enginner is going to add massive amounts of costs to your project.

thanks for all the tips. it's appreciated.

We did the number calculations when we bought the block, as I got the rough quotes from 3 builders/architects. Then I spoke with the REA to see what the end value could be. So, yes the basic feasibility we did, and it looks like it has a good net margin of about 15% (holding for 1 year to avoid GST). It looks like we can afford to hold it with net off rent. So, quite excited.

But now when it really comes down to actually doing it, we're a bit overwhelmed. Ok, I need to talk to a townplanner. The house was built 30 years or so ago, so I'm not sure if the council still has land survey on the block. I'll ask anyway. If not, I need a surveyor and a draftsman.

I got quoted $7,700 from an architect firm to prepare all docs and submit to the council. Any additional follow up work $120 per hour. It excludes land survey part I think. The block is in Central Coast NSW, within Gosford LEP. I can't even tell if it's expensive or cheap. Meanwhile, I'll go talk to the townplanner and suss out a draftsman.

thanks heaps all!

7.7k from the architect is for the DA only? if so expect more for the CC and at 120 per hour!, honestly he is likey to do the design and then get a draftsperson to draw it.

Find a good draftie that can design (talk to as many as you can, sorry I dont have the time with my current job to do ti for you) and expect it a fair bit cheaper than 120 per house. there is not that much work in doing a DA drawing wise from the architect, more design so know what u want and what u can do to save costs + a good draftie and your set!

Talk to builders to they will be able to assist with finding a draftie if your happy to build with them and assist you through the prosess. Like i said DA drawings are usually site plan, 2 elevations, 2 sections, possible a shadow plan and some documentation. Nothing major.

Why are you building duplexes? they're not very popular in Australia...

HI Aaron, Australia is a big place and it has its own pocket markets. e.g. Woy Woy has heaps of them and they're hot with retirees. Plus it's all we can afford at this stage, unless you want to try and give us a great financing deal for 5 storey multi unit block? :p *jokes*

7.7k from the architect is for the DA only? if so expect more for the CC and at 120 per hour!, honestly he is likey to do the design and then get a draftsperson to draw it.

Find a good draftie that can design (talk to as many as you can, sorry I dont have the time with my current job to do ti for you) and expect it a fair bit cheaper than 120 per house. there is not that much work in doing a DA drawing wise from the architect, more design so know what u want and what u can do to save costs + a good draftie and your set!

Talk to builders to they will be able to assist with finding a draftie if your happy to build with them and assist you through the prosess. Like i said DA drawings are usually site plan, 2 elevations, 2 sections, possible a shadow plan and some documentation. Nothing major.

Thanks heaps! No worries. I'm on search for a good draftie now. Exciting learning process.

Back