DA, Zoning, Council Question for architects? VIC

maybe for the architects and/or developers on here question,

am looking at a site that is 900sqm, its resi zone 1,

fairly nearby there is a site thats also 900sqm, and has approved DA for mixed use with 4 floors of apartments and a few office, zoned mixed use, all is good

this site is however in zone resi 1, ive spoken to and annoyed just about everyone in council trying to see if a similar one can be approved,

here is the info, that I have managed to obtain,
according to council teh max height is approx 9m, with max 3 stories,

im only looking to do a resi build with no offices and with only 3 floors and not 4

according to the council. provided its not out there, and your standard design apartments, they see no reason to reject DA, however, there isnt any examples of DAs in the immediate area, and a drive by does seem to support it,

this is where ive annoyed council, in trying to get some feedback,

realistically how would I go abouts approaching this, I would like to be able to do 3 floors with basement, its on a main road but not category 1

if the plans can be approved, the asking price is a bargain, if not then its market price

expert opinions would severely reduce my grey hair count

It usually goes a long way to help the process if you were to go to council armed with quick feasibility sketch with planning parameters in mind. To do this, get an architect/planner who's tuned-in to that area - shouldn't cost too much. Council might have local planning guides for the area over and above zoning regs. If your site is located in an activity zone, all the better. Clients have previously purchased sites based a quick pencil sketch in consultation with a planner I use. The investment here would help soothe the early planning process and set you on your way a lot quicker, whether it's feasible or not.

Pm me the address and I will get my.Melbourne office to respond through here with all identify ing info rekoved.

Hi TMNT,

I've been forwarded the address and had a quick look into it.

Given the topography of the land there is scope for a 3 storey with basement level res development. The max height may be 10m if the gradient of the land is steep enough, although from what information I have available I don't think it would be so I would be working with a 9m max height at this stage.

I have had a look into the Neighbourhood Character statement for the area and it doesn't really help or hinder what you have proposed. The statement focuses only on the immediate area around the property so I would suggest going on the Council website and looking at the Neighbourhood Character statements for the wider area to see if this could assist you in anyway. I can PM you the details of where to find this info if you would like.

Further to this, I would advise to have some sketches done of what you would propose, even if it is just hand drawn by yourself at first and have a chat to the Council's Planning Liaison Officer in person, you can book a free appointment with them.

Also there is a current appeal on a 2-4 storey development nearby that has been refused by the Council so it may also be helpful to ask the Council for details of this application and see what they have proposed and why it was refused.

Back