Damage from Demolition company

Hi guys,

We've received an email from our neighbours who were away on holiday while the demolition was happening. They noted that there has been a bit of damage to the fencing between our home and theirs. The neighbours also emailed the demolition company. Usually the demo business owner is quick to reply and defend their work (whenever we've raised questions), however today they haven't responded. So, is damage to color bond fencing their responsibility? --> I haven't contacted them yet and they haven't responded to the neighbour, and I won't be surprised to brush it aside. At least glad that the nighbour raised this and not us..

Second, the lot doesn't really look levelled. I appreciate it was raining when they were demolishing so possibly they couldn't clear everything through their sieve. They didn't remove all grass either. Claim was that they will make the lot look 'pretty' but it doesn't feel so....So I'm not sure what really to do as they say it's not the first and the last lot they are demolishing. Pics here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nm84qfzohk3wwpw/AABNAjjOYae9uFHjogXIsCjEa?dl=0

They come highly recommended by the builder and seem to be really proud of their reputation. However, we aren't as satisfied given the amount we've paid....and feel a bit robbed as everytime anything is raised via email or phone, we are the ones who end up feeling like we don't know enough...

Thoughts?

Regards,
MsAli

Lot looks fine.

A panel or 2 of colorbond will be cheap for the demo company to replace. Just need to nudge them a bit.

pinkboy

What was the terms of the contract in relation to removing all grass etc. From the pics it looks like they did much more than demolish.

Neighbour could sue you for damage, but the demolisher are probably the ultimately responsible. But it sounds like you have just emailed them today? Too soon to expect a response. Give them 14 days and then follow up.

Lot looks fine.

A panel or 2 of colorbond will be cheap for the demo company to replace. Just need to nudge them a bit.

pinkboy

Thanks Pinky. That makes me feel better. There are 5-6 as per the neighbour.

What was the terms of the contract in relation to removing all grass etc. From the pics it looks like they did much more than demolish.

Neighbour could sue you for damage, but the demolisher are probably the ultimately responsible. But it sounds like you have just emailed them today? Too soon to expect a response. Give them 14 days and then follow up.

Hi Terry - they were going to leave the block clear and levelled. It just doesn't look 'clear enough' to me....and definitely not to the standards they claim to have. Will send the pics to the builder to see if they are ok and if they are ok then we won't stress.

As for the fencing - Neighbours emailed us today and addressed them also. We haven't yet emailed them. Usually when we raise concerns the demo company have been quick to cover their basis (and have emailed within the hour). However now when they have a real issue at hand with visible damage, they are yet to respond.

What should be the next steps should they not respond?

I don't want to take it to tribunal....it's a hassle and I don't want any bad blood their either. All I want is for them to take responsibility for the work they have done and thereby the damage they have caused...

Do you or the neighbours have before and after photos of the panels?

pinkboy

No before photos. That side wasn't even used as it was a little alley next to our house.....So they were like new.

I believe the other side also got damaged, but the neighbour hasn't said anything yet.

Also as a comparison, here is a photo of my development site thats currently underway

Construction-Building-Site-Artwork.jpg

Looks fine to me.

Your site is fairly level. Your builder will just do a fairly straight-forward cut-and-fill of the site to prepare it for the slab.

A little bit of grass left on the site helps to control erosion after heavy downpours.

Looks fine to me!!

Panels cost $30 each at bunnings.

I wouldn't replace them as yet..it may get damage again during construction!

Reactions: S.T
Great thanks guys.

The builders construction manager didn't like the pics...but will go to site and if still sees issues will get the demo guys back.

Thanks mflying - that's not bad.

Looks fine to me!!

Panels cost $30 each at bunnings.

I wouldn't replace them as yet..it may get damage again during construction!

Yes, this happens so no point worrying about it until the end.
The only issue is if neighbours have dogs.

Ms Ali, check the conditions of the demolition contract. Most don't cover damage to fences at all (At least in WA).

I would expect all the grass to be removed as they need to screen all the dirt to 600mm or so. You don't want to find a septic tank under the grass when you start digging footings.

Yes, this happens so no point worrying about it until the end.
The only issue is if neighbours have dogs.

Yep one of the neighbours has dogs......Will check out the damage this weekend. Thanks Marisa

Ms Ali, check the conditions of the demolition contract. Most don't cover damage to fences at all (At least in WA).

I would expect all the grass to be removed as they need to screen all the dirt to 600mm or so. You don't want to find a septic tank under the grass when you start digging footings.

Have put the demo guys in touch with the builder (they come builder recommended). The builder will get them to come on site and remove whatever needs to be removed.

Back