Damage to property between signing contract and settling

Hi guys,
I am currently putting an offer on a property which is owned by a company that provides housing to the disadvantaged. The house has a lot of cosmetic damage and the place is in dire need of some serious work. The current tenants are not happy about the house being put on the market and have already destroyed the advertising sign that was put up out the front. My question is what protection do I have in the way of the standard sales process from showing up to get the keys and the house is completely destroyed? Should I get my solicitor to list all of the fixtures etc in the contract? Do I need to go through and take photos of the entire house and its condition the day I sign the contract? Looking forward to your feedback.
HH

Hi guys,
I am currently putting an offer on a property which is owned by a company that provides housing to the disadvantaged. The house has a lot of cosmetic damage and the place is in dire need of some serious work. The current tenants are not happy about the house being put on the market and have already destroyed the advertising sign that was put up out the front. My question is what protection do I have in the way of the standard sales process from showing up to get the keys and the house is completely destroyed? Should I get my solicitor to list all of the fixtures etc in the contract? Do I need to go through and take photos of the entire house and its condition the day I sign the contract? Looking forward to your feedback.
HH

Maybe not with the prior photos,but 5 minutes before you sign the contract take out insurance on the property and let someone else worry about the problem..imho..

You have until 5pm the next business day after the contract date to take out insurance, the risk remains with the seller until then.

You could have your solicitor draft a specific clause requiring the seller to make good any damage between signing and settlement (no obligation on seller to agree to such a clause)

As the house is already damaged, insurance will be of limited benefit as you will have to prove what damage was done after you took out the insurance.

You are also obliged to make full disclosure of all facts (whether covered by direct questions or not), which would include the fact that there are destructive tenants in residence, otherwise the insurance can be void.

In the event of a dispute, photos may be your only evidence. Even better if these can be included in the contract (??).
Marg

Thanks for the feedback. Yes Marg that was my thinking as well. I'm not sure how to include it in the contract but will talk to my solicitor about it although the horse has already bolted as I had to make an offer in the way of a signed contract. I am going to get in contact with the real estate to see if I can get access again if I am successful to take some photos of the the property.
Cheers
HH

Back