Damage to property (tenant issues)

Hi All,

As this is my first IP which has been leased out for less than 6 months I have some questions for the seasoned Landlord's out there. The property is located in W.A

Quick rundown on current situation.

• House is 6 months old (built brand new)
  • To date tenant has been paying rent on time

As I required the property to have a bank valuation undertaken, I wanted to ensure the place looked in top shape to hopefully realise the full potential of its value. The lawns were looking quite poor with the gardens and lawn being full of weeds. Before the property was appraised I arranged for myself to attend and rectify the garden/lawn issue as it was important that this was carried out before the valuation.

When I attended the property (owner was present inside) I found the gate latch broken and the side access gate blowing in the wind. I proceeded to remove the weeds (removed approx 20-30lt), fertilised the garden/lawns, turned on the reticulation and repaired the gate latch. At this time I noticed rubbish in the garden beds, (papers etc) and a plant that had been removed from it's place sitting half way out of the soil. As the property is brand new I was concerned to say the least regarding the state of it but had to distance myself from it and not get too worked up.

I also noticed a great deal of weeds growing in the reserve nature strip adjoining the property which were blowing seed throughout the property's lawn. I thought I will come back next time I return from work and will weed spray them so as to create less work for the person having to weed the lawn next time due to no weed seed being blown from from next door. It was at this time when I was carrying out the spraying that the neighbour came over and had a chat to me. I occasionally spoke to him during the building process and asked him once the house was being leased out to keep and eye out for anything that shouldn't be happening. As we were chatting he informed us that he witnessed one of the tenant's children climbing on the boundary fence and on top of the garden shed roof. He was concerned for the child falling into his yard and hurting himself as it's all paved. It was at this time that he also informed me that the garden shed roof had been caved in due to the child climbing on it to gain access to the fence. I was not impressed by hearing this and this added to my concerns that I already had.

After hearing this I dropped into the REA office on the way back home and raised my concerns along with the other items which I found during my visit to maintain the yards. She was also concerned and agreed that it was not acceptable that damage such as this is occurring. It was at this time she indicated that she was going to breach the tenant certain items. I didn't receive a copy of this letter so am unsure as to what the breach encompassed. The tenant was given 3 weeks to rectify the issue to which she has not successfully done. Attempting to repair the roof by pushing it back up in my opinion in not acceptable and will need replacing now.

She has also sent me a letter though the REA raising items which are unfounded. She has also indicated that she won't be renewing the lease, which suits me also. I have concerns as to the what might happen to the property until the end of lease now and would rather see her out.

I have asked for a meeting to be organised with the REA as I am not entirely happy with the way this is being handled and feel as though the property manager is falling for the tenants sob story. There are indiscrepancies throughout the letter and feel as though the tenant is playing the system and I would rather use the property damage and her failure to have it repaired properly to have her removed before the situation potentially escalates.

What are peoples thoughts on the above and how would you go about the situation? Would you want the tenant removed or just hang on until January and hope for the best?

Apologies for novel above :)

Ok it looks like a few things are happening at once here.

1. Not happy with the tenant regarding the damage to the property.

2. Tenant also seems to be complaining about other issues.

3. Not happy with your PM.

You should really deal with them separately, but you also say that:

4. You just want the tenant out if you can.

So is it 4) that you just really want advice on?

The CBA and NAB fully franked dividends sound pretty good right about now.

Dear Dazz I think you are failing to take into account the altruistic satisfaction that many residential property investors get from knowing that they are a charitable institution by providing housing to others who are not wiling to pay the full costs of housing and by making tax deductible gifts (interest payments) to the banks so that the banks can lend to other charitable institutions (residential property investors) and keep the whole cycle going. Your approach seems to imply that profits should be the direct result of investing and those profits should occur as soon as possible. However, your cynicism might explain why 80 per cent of property investors only have one property.

Dear Dazz I think you are failing to take into account the altruistic satisfaction

I have many many failings....more than you can poke a stick at.

Failing to take into account altruistic satisfactions is indeed one of them. :)

Hi All,

As this is my first IP which has been leased out for less than 6 months I have some questions for the seasoned Landlord's out there. The property is located in W.A

• House is 6 months old (built brand new) should still look good
  • To date tenant has been paying rent on time good news
As I required the property to have a bank valuation undertaken, I wanted to ensure the place looked in top shape to hopefully realise the full potential of its value. The lawns were looking quite poor with the gardens and lawn being full of weeds. Before the property was appraised I arranged for myself to attend and rectify the garden/lawn issue as it was important that this was carried out before the valuation. Not sure if this is 100% coorect, may not impact valuer's thoughts, however you could have paid someone to do it,

When I attended the property (owner was present inside) tenant? I found the gate latch broken and the side access gate blowing in the wind. I proceeded to remove the weeds (removed approx 20-30lt), fertilised the garden/lawns, turned on the reticulation and repaired the gate latch. At this time I noticed rubbish in the garden beds, (papers etc) and a plant that had been removed from it's place sitting half way out of the soil. As the property is brand new I was concerned to say the least regarding the state of it but had to distance myself from it and not get too worked up. That's why do you should have arranged someone to do it

I also noticed a great deal of weeds growing in the reserve nature strip adjoining the property which were blowing seed throughout the property's lawn. I thought I will come back next time I return from work and will weed spray them so as to create less work for the person having to weed the lawn next time due to no weed seed being blown from from next door.The tenant , who as home at the time may not have appreciated weed killer being sprayed around It was at this time when I was carrying out the spraying that the neighbour came over and had a chat to me. I occasionally spoke to him during the building process and asked him once the house was being leased out to keep and eye out for anything that shouldn't be happening. As we were chatting he informed us that he witnessed one of the tenant's children climbing on the boundary fence and on top of the garden shed roof. He was concerned for the child falling into his yard and hurting himself as it's all paved. It was at this time that he also informed me that the garden shed roof had been caved in due to the child climbing on it to gain access to the fence. I was not impressed by hearing this and this added to my concerns that I already had. Kids do these sort of things

After hearing this I dropped into the REA office on the way back home and raised my concerns along with the other items which I found during my visit to maintain the yards. She was also concerned and agreed that it was not acceptable that damage such as this is occurring. It was at this time she indicated that she was going to breach the tenant certain items. I didn't receive a copy of this letter so am unsure as to what the breach encompassed. The tenant was given 3 weeks to rectify the issue to which she has not successfully done. Attempting to repair the roof by pushing it back up in my opinion in not acceptable and will need replacing now. it will be on the condition report when she moves out, and repairs can be done then

She has also sent me a letter though the REA raising items which are unfounded.what sort of things? She has also indicated that she won't be renewing the lease, which suits me also. I have concerns as to the what might happen to the property until the end of lease now and would rather see her out. Stay away and let the PM do their job of regular inspections

I have asked for a meeting to be organised with the REA as I am not entirely happy with the way this is being handled and feel as though the property manager is falling for the tenants sob story. There are indiscrepancies throughout the letter and feel as though the tenant is playing the system and I would rather use the property damage and her failure to have it repaired properly to have her removed before the situation potentially escalates.
The tenant has a lease and is paying rent on time
What are peoples thoughts on the above and how would you go about the situation? Would you want the tenant removed or just hang on until January and hope for the best? Hard for you to stay away and not get emotinally involved, especially with a brand new property and it's your 1st IP, but have a bit of time out and let the PM do their thing

good luck, by the way the CBA and NAB probably will cause less heartache

Hi All,

• House is 6 months old (built brand new)
  • To date tenant has been paying rent on time

As I required the property to have a bank valuation undertaken, I wanted to ensure the place looked in top shape to hopefully realise the full potential of its value. The lawns were looking quite poor with the gardens and lawn being full of weeds. Before the property was appraised I arranged for myself to attend and rectify the garden/lawn issue as it was important that this was carried out before the valuation.

When I attended the property (owner was present inside) I found the gate latch broken and the side access gate blowing in the wind. I proceeded to remove the weeds (removed approx 20-30lt), fertilised the garden/lawns, turned on the reticulation and repaired the gate latch. At this time I noticed rubbish in the garden beds, (papers etc) and a plant that had been removed from it's place sitting half way out of the soil. As the property is brand new I was concerned to say the least regarding the state of it but had to distance myself from it and not get too worked up.

I also noticed a great deal of weeds growing in the reserve nature strip adjoining the property which were blowing seed throughout the property's lawn. I thought I will come back next time I return from work and will weed spray them so as to create less work for the person having to weed the lawn next time due to no weed seed being blown from from next door. It was at this time when I was carrying out the spraying that the neighbour came over and had a chat to me. I occasionally spoke to him during the building process and asked him once the house was being leased out to keep and eye out for anything that shouldn't be happening. As we were chatting he informed us that he witnessed one of the tenant's children climbing on the boundary fence and on top of the garden shed roof. He was concerned for the child falling into his yard and hurting himself as it's all paved. It was at this time that he also informed me that the garden shed roof had been caved in due to the child climbing on it to gain access to the fence. I was not impressed by hearing this and this added to my concerns that I already had.

After hearing this I dropped into the REA office on the way back home and raised my concerns along with the other items which I found during my visit to maintain the yards. She was also concerned and agreed that it was not acceptable that damage such as this is occurring. It was at this time she indicated that she was going to breach the tenant certain items. I didn't receive a copy of this letter so am unsure as to what the breach encompassed. The tenant was given 3 weeks to rectify the issue to which she has not successfully done. Attempting to repair the roof by pushing it back up in my opinion in not acceptable and will need replacing now.

She has also sent me a letter though the REA raising items which are unfounded. She has also indicated that she won't be renewing the lease, which suits me also. I have concerns as to the what might happen to the property until the end of lease now and would rather see her out.

What are peoples thoughts on the above and how would you go about the situation? Would you want the tenant removed or just hang on until January and hope for the best?

Thats too long to read. Can you summarise it for me?

I replied to the PM this morning and told her to take care of it and expressed my thoughts on the matter.

I foolishly think that tenants take care of the places they live in, especially brand new ones and think they will do the right thing, unfortunately this is my stupidity and I either have to get over it or change how I make money, to which I am thinking the latter.

She seems to think that her life is under a microscope and that she is being harassed. I unfortunately required an evaluation so I wanted the work done properly. Now that is out of the way I have no need to visit the property. Up to the valuation taking place I was rarely in the area (once every 4-5 weeks to drive past) now its not even that.

I will wait and see how things pan out.

Basically Terry, tenant hasn't made good the breach and has made comment that her life is being watched by myself and the neighbors. Neighbor had a concern about kid falling into his yard and also damaging his property. Based on what I have seen in a very short space of time makes me wonder what will happen between now and the end of lease.

Do I attempt to mitigate losses by cutting the lease now (if possible) or hope for the best and deal with it one the lease is up was really what I was asking.

I think those things are pretty minor to be honest and you are probably getting a bit more worked up about it than you should. They are all things that can happen, even when you are looking after a place, and as long as they are fixed when the tenant leaves they shouldn't be an issue right now.

I'd probably feel the same way as your tenant if it were me.

Take a few steps back.

I foolishly think that tenants take care of the places they live in, especially brand new ones and think they will do the right thing, unfortunately this is my stupidity and I either have to get over it or change how I make money, to which I am thinking the latter.

EA,

Gardens - not an issue until move out time. If it's a mess when they go, money from bond to clean up.

One reason I stopped getting brand new properties - they are never new for long.

Make sure you don't get a complaint re "nosey landlord".

Kid on shed - again, insurance and repair at exit time (from bond etc).

The Y-man

I didnt read anything about the interior? Maybe I overlooked it - but for mine - gardens etc - no big deal. Have had numerous times where have taken bond money as gardens not up to scratch.

Back