Dangling plastic strip thingies.

What are those dangling plastic strip thingies called that are hung in the doorway to keep the flies out of fish and chip shops??? I haven't seen any for years but have a use for them and was wondering if they are still available. :)

OMG, my gramdma had one of those back in the sixties.....

your rockstar image is now tarnished markedly if you still in love with those things.

dont know if you want them for home or work but:

- home application: dont be so tight, get screens!! ;-)

- work; get an air curtain. ;-)

i can recall running through those plastic hanging "thingies" getting my neck caught when i was a kid.

"strip door curtains" or something they were called up my way from memory..

that is very funny rockstar if you have a passion for those ugly things...

I think fly (or pest) strips are more the sticky things that aim to attract and immobilise the vermin.

Whereas those tacky multicoloured dangly door things are called strip doors

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071226211847AAQ8kTU

http://www.stripdoors.com.au/

http://www.uline.com/BL_3870/Vinyl-Strip-Door-Kits?pricode=wj360

http://www.dmf.com.au/visiflex.html

Modern ones seem to be fat see-through vinyl that are a bit heavier than the old ones at service stations and corner shops.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad that a few of you remember them. :D

You know that they are an invention most brilliant. Apparantly the movement of the strips against each other causes static electricity to build up which creates the barrier against the flies.

your rockstar image is now tarnished markedly if you still in love with those things.

Ha ha - you never know when something old fashioned will become trendy again. Just requires some clever marketing -and maybe some brighter colours. :D

I sure hope you cannot still get them :eek::p.

C'mon Wylie, don't be such a wowser. We can't just discard colourful history like that.

Try looking in your local discount Variety store, especially around December January. Not sure which ones you have near you, something like Crazy Clarkes (or similar?) When we owned a variety shop, we used to sell them (just a couple of years ago, not all the way back in the 60's!)
We only had a little shop but would sell about 40+ of them each year I think.
They retailed at around $8 - $12 or so on a sliding scale of ugly. The uglier they were, the cheaper we got them for! Probably relic stock left over from the hazy days!
Hope your search overturns a few :)

I reckon you will find them at a commercial supplier.

I too fondly remember wrapping them around other kids necks:D

U know its a very enviro friendly way to keep the critters out of your home.

cheers

U know its a very enviro friendly way to keep the critters out of your home.

.... but so VERY ugly!! :)

I remember being seated next to my father-in-law one Christmas in the stinking heat under his house :eek:. He was brandishing around an old fashioned plastic fly swat, sweating profusely (as were we all) and after he had hit a few flies, placed it right next to my plate of food. I lost my apetite rather quickly :(.

My mother-in-law, earlier the same day, had placed a thin gauze fabric over the top of the salami, cheese and cracker platter. The flies were able to stick their feet through the gauze so she sprayed flyspray over the whole lot :eek: and then wondered why we all refused it next time she offered it around.

Thanks DL 2276,

Mrs R could easily sew them up in no time. Great solution. :) Not sure how they would go on windy days?

They are for some dorms that people will be in and out of regularly - a bit like a shop. Low cost solution is required. The plastic strips would be ok - in toned down colours of course. ;)

Thanks everyone.

They have to still be available in commercial supply stores somewhere.

A crappy run down shop in a town near here sold last year (or was it the year before? Time flies when you're getting old), and during the renovation that turned it into the most amazingly cool looking sweets-and-coffee shop (yes, there's still a market for old-fashioned sweets stores) someone has stuck a brand new dangling plastic strip thingy on the door. But it is made from very heavy clear vinyl, like cheap flooring vinyl thickness, not the rather more delicate child-strangling strips I remember that people had before they invented screen doors.

Big plug for Koffee and Kandy in Laura here - love the place! :D

Back