Dark colours reno article

Dear guys,

A reno article from today's fin review.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

A buyer in mind
Nov 2
Robert Harley

In three months this year, interior designer Garth Barnett turned a $710,000 apartment in Sydney's Horizon tower into a $930,000 city pad.

How? First he bought well. Horizon was suffering bad press and the pale blue walls and tired grey carpet didn't help.

Unlike many renovators looking for a quick profit, Barnett didn't go for a bland colour scheme in an attempt to appeal to a range of buyers. Instead he used dark colours to create an "instant atmosphere" and used them everywhere, even in the kitchen.

Then he broke the next rule of renovation - he didn't open up the kitchen to the living area. "The sitting room was too small for an open kitchen," he said. "Some people like a roast dinner and I sold to people who wanted a proper kitchen."

And it was. Barnett replaced the benchtop and the cooktop to provide a "very workable galley kitchen with heaps and heaps of space".

He upgraded the bathroom with a contemporary vanity.

Barnett believes in good lighting. "It is one of the strong points you cannot skimp on," he says. Throughout the apartment he installed "exceptionally good mood lighting so at night it really glowed".

And he put better storage in the bedrooms.

Barnett sold the apartment fully furnished and everything enhanced its one great feature, the drop-dead-gorgeous view of the city and Opera House. "You have to find something that is different. Something that will make it special," is his advice to renovators.

very interesting Sunstone, thanks for posting. Has given me some inspiration on what to do with my unit in Ashfield when the time comes around.

Cheers

Cornflwer

Dear Cornflower,

No problems. Always pleased to help.

Help is a two way street and I'm happy to be on it.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Back