Data Sources

Hi all,

I’ve been doing lots of reading and am in process of defining my strategy, structure and lineing up my team. I’m a bit stuck on where to get data from.

I’m reading a book mentioned on SS about the housing market, it describes key stats to analyse market timing and refining your IP search.

I’ve checked out the websites of the majors, I just can’t decide (without forking over $$ first) which data sources I should subscribe to. RP, Residex, APM, realestateinvestar etc my head is spinning.

Where will I find a tool(s) that will graph these stats by suburb mentioned in the book:
• Days listed
• Median Sale & Rent (broken down by house, unit #bed/bath)
• Sale Count
• Capital Growth (qtr, 1, 3, 5, 10yrs)
• Rent Yield (qtr, 1, 3, 5, 10 yrs)
• Vacancy Rates
• Vendor Discount
• Population forecast
• Household size
• Housing approvals
• Auto alerts when a target market changes

Does such a magical data source exist or is this the bit where I roll up my sleeves? :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance

All exist and mostly for free.

RP data, Residex, Pricefinder and APM are much of a muchness and will provide alot of that info although not all. Only Residex however are usually willing to include projections.

If you're not sure then just subscribe to the free trials of each and see which one suits you best.

Bear in mind that RP data's CMA's don't include AVM (Automated valuation modules) which are charged for separately unless packaged together. If you are just buying a property here and there, then I'm not entirely sure a full annual subscription is good value for money, just ask your broker to run you a report on your short listed properties.

Also just noticed you are in Melbourne, which means if looking for VIC property you will be very disappointed with the quality of data due to VIC privacy laws prohibiting the publishing of ownership data etc.

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for your reply, I'll check out the free trials as I hadn't previously noticed them offered on the various websites. Time to roll up my sleeves.

Also re Melbourne, yeah was aware. Dumb question but why do I need to know who the owner is/was? What's the advantage?

Not that I think I'll be looking at Melbourne suburbs in the near future. Interstate is my focus so I'll need national data ;)

Many thanks.

Residex has quite a bit of that info in their CMA reports for which we have a national subscription (not just Victoria). You could likely get things like housing approval stats from the council or similar. The CMA reports tend to have a lot more info than the basic subscriptions they market to consumers.

Back