Daylight saving in QLD Please

here, i'll put a climate change in perspective for you

holocene-history-sm.gif

if you search the sources in that article you will find the data eventually

now the rebuttal that you link suffers from the same problem

where is the data backing it up?

Ok, I thought you might have some primary research to back your opinions up with. There are no citations on your link. As for myself, there's plenty in the resent IPCC report and CSIRO/BOM's state of the climate reports that reference the primary literature.

Bigblu... you can't wake up who pretends to sleep.

I often work with weather data. Definitely the weather patterns are changing to drier. Now I don't know if that is due to climate change or not.

Bigblu... you can't wake up who pretends to sleep.

I often work with weather data. Definitely the weather patterns are changing to drier. Now I don't know if that is due to climate change or not.

What data do you have that shows weather is getting dryer? I'd like to see that as it's not happening where I live.

See ya's.

After the crap Tim Flannery said about Australia's rainfall being in permanent decline and then the money being wasted building desalination plants, I get annoyed when anyone claims it's getting dryer. I challenge anyone to show a rainfall chart that shows it's getting dryer.

See ya's.

Last edited:
Rainfall depends on where you are and the time of year you are looking at. You don't want to get too carried away looking at individual locales. However, the SE is in a drying trend for winter and autumn.

From:http://www.csiro.au/en/Outcomes/Climate/Understanding/State-of-the-Climate-2012/Temperature.aspx

Australia?s rainfall is highly variable. During recent decades, there has been a general trend towards increased spring and summer monsoonal rainfall across Australia?s north, higher than normal rainfall across central parts of the continent, and decreased late autumn and winter rainfall across the south.

A very strong La Ni?a event in 2010, followed by another La Ni?a event in 2011, brought the highest two-year Australian-average rainfall total on record. Many rainfall records were broken during this period.

The record rainfall of 2010 and 2011 fell in spring and summer in the southeast of the continent. Rainfall was below average for the period April to July 2011, continuing the longer-term drying trend observed over the winter half of the year for this region. Recent drying trends across southern Australia in autumn and winter have been linked to circulation changes. The causes of these changes are an area of active research.

Attached chart:
April to September (autumn and winter) rainfall deciles from 1997 to 2011 for Australia (a decile rainfall map shows whether the rainfall is above average, average or below average for the most recent 15-year period, in comparison with the entire rainfall record from 1900). Areas of highest on record and lowest on record are also shown.

Attachments

• P5-figure1_inline.jpg
    P5-figure1_inline.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 28
Why didn't you just say you can't show any proof it's getting dryer rather than that long post? Would have saved some typing?

See ya's.

See graph of average daily rainfall for Sydney region.
The figures shown are the weighted average of the Sydney Airport (23%) and Prospect Dam (73%) weather stations (according coverage). The 30 year average is the average over the 30 years up to and including 2009-10.

It clearly shows the very dry start to the 2012-13 year. Also note that while January looks above average, all that rain actually fell during the last week. The first three weeks were very dry.
Re: 2013-14, Sep may not look terribly dry compared to the long term average but you have to keep in mind that all that rain fell over a few days and was proceeded by 3-4 weeks of no rain and followed by a dry period again. Also, it was the hottest September on record.

Attachments

• monthlyRainfall.jpg
    monthlyRainfall.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 24
Desalination plant: This is simply an expensive insurance policy.
The fact is that Sydneysiders aren't prepared to drop the level of service (as set by IPART ? an independent regulatory body). Hence, it was essential to make sure Sydney doesn't run out of water in next 30-50 years.
Back in 2007, the Warragamba Dam almost hit the 30% capacity mark. Imagine if we had the drought for another year or two. Decisions were made at that point in time.
Sydney is largely depending on the Warragamba Dam. I think it is best to have another ?option? just in case something happens to it!

Last edited:
Why didn't you just say you can't show any proof it's getting dryer rather than that long post? Would have saved some typing?

See ya's.

I thought it was pretty simple really. You challenged. I showed you where and when the BoM are seeing below average rainfall/a drying trend.

I thought it was pretty simple really. You challenged. I showed you where and when the BoM are seeing below average rainfall/a drying trend.

Yeah, but if you get a cold, wet and windy day then it must be because global warming doesn't exist :rolleyes:

See graph of average daily rainfall for Sydney region.
The figures shown are the weighted average of the Sydney Airport (23%) and Prospect Dam (73%) weather stations (according coverage). The 30 year average is the average over the 30 years up to and including 2009-10.

It clearly shows the very dry start to the 2012-13 year. Also note that while January looks above average, all that rain actually fell during the last week. The first three weeks were very dry.
Re: 2013-14, Sep may not look terribly dry compared to the long term average but you have to keep in mind that all that rain fell over a few days and was proceeded by 3-4 weeks of no rain and followed by a dry period again. Also, it was the hottest September on record.

This is a bit funny I gotta say. You said,...

Definitely the weather patterns are changing to drier. Now I don't know if that is due to climate change or not.

Then proceed to think that a dry month here and there is a drying weather trend? Mate, I'm talking decades or even centuries. You don't get a rainfall trend by looking at a few months of a few years. I'm thinking Flannery may have used this method too? How much was he being paid again?

Then whole decades can be dry and whole decades can be wet. The 40's and 60's were dry and the 70's and 90's were wet.

See ya's.

Attached chart:
April to September (autumn and winter) rainfall deciles from 1997 to 2011 for Australia (a decile rainfall map shows whether the rainfall is above average, average or below average for the most recent 15-year period, in comparison with the entire rainfall record from 1900). Areas of highest on record and lowest on record are also shown.

Once again, looking at a trend over a 15 year period is a waste of time. You'd know that?

See ya's.

It's comparing the last 15 year average to the last 112 year average as the caption says and as far back as records go.

No good putting decades over last 2 centuries of data to these guys, they wont listen.

Im actually expecting a drought around our parts, we havent had a real big drought for many years now. It's due....

been through a few crackers and we are currently experiencing the drop off associated with the change from a very wet period to the other side...dry.
As usual.

QLD is getting one, but then it's always dry up there, or more often than not, so nothing unusual.

What is and will continue to happen is because of social media and the free flow of info these days any bad storm, dry period, wet period, hotter or even colder temps will be speculated as being caused by climate change which is attached to GW, and you and I and the general public will be made feel guilty and told dont dare argue with it.

Maybe QLD should stay with their non-daylight saving as it may just worsen the drought...:rolleyes:

Back