Daylight saving in QLD Please

It's comparing the last 15 year average to the last 112 year average as the caption says and as far back as records go.

However, the SE is in a drying trend for winter and autumn.

Well here is a chart of winter rainfall in South Eastern Australia. From the BOM website too. Maybe they should pay more attention to their own info?

No falling trend there. Do you want to see the autumn one too? Don't forget that the BOM have an agenda too.

See ya's.

Last edited:
I don't really care whether there is daylight saving or not - I only wish the whole of Australia could decide on the issue together so we are either all in or all out. The three hour time difference between east and west coast is a PITA which definitely costs the economy unnecessarily. Everything else can be worked around by comparison.

BTW for anyone genuinely interested about Climate Change and Global Warming, there is very little to argue about anymore. The evidence of what is actually happening can be found here.

Along with a discussion of the longer term risks.

At it's most basic
:
A greenhouse gas (sometimes abbreviated GHG) is a gas in an atmosphere that absorbs and emits radiation within the thermal infrared range. This process is the fundamental cause of the greenhouse effect.

The greenhouse effect keeps us all alive by warming the earth to an extent where it is habitable. But we know the concentration of GHGs in the atmosphere such as CO2 (below) and others (eg methane, nitrous oxides etc) is increasing as a result of human activity:

Mauna_Loa_Carbon_Dioxide_Apr2013.svg

The questions that remain revolve around exactly how much is this impacting on the earth's climate. The range of uncertainty on each measure of the climate that we have with our current knowledge is clearly outlined in the IPCC report. This range gets smaller with every successive report. The basic physics dominate in the end - the heat energy that is trapped by the greater proportion of these gases has to end up somewhere and it will take decades / centuries to know for sure where the effect of that energy will really be felt - it takes at least that long for the heat energy to build up in our atmosphere and oceans. By which time of course it will be far too late to do anything about it.

My personal view on this is that there are a lot of sensible things we can do today at very minimal cost to do our bit to reduce the risk without trashing the economy. We are starting down this track already - electricity consumption is decreasing while our economy keeps growing, there are well over a million houses in Australia now with solar panels on their roofs, all new buildings are being insulated to a better level etc etc. None of this is hurting our economy significantly - they are sensible steps to manage the risk of climate change and provide a number of other real benefits as well - less energy dependence, greater energy diversity and security etc etc.

Meanwhile the developing world is finding its own clean development pathways which don't require massive amounts of fossil fuels. China may well be the last nation to choose that path to economic development. Electricity generation and storage technology is changing under us as we speak. Getting off the grid has never been cheaper and it will keep getting cheaper even in our own economy. It's a brave new world and we are already both adapting and moving this way while hardly even knowing we are doing it. But relax - it's all progress - carbon tax or no carbon tax! Get on board even - it's going to be a great ride!

I don't really care whether there is daylight saving or not - I only wish the whole of Australia could decide on the issue together so we are either all in or all out. The three hour time difference between east and west coast is a PITA which definitely costs the economy unnecessarily. Everything else can be worked around by comparison.

!

How on earth could the whole of Australia operate on one time zone?

One way to do it would be to have the highest population area stay as is, [east coast, 80% of population] and then central and western time zones fit in with the east? You blokes in Perth would be going to work in the dark and it wouldn't get light for an hour? As if you lot would want to do that?

See ya's.

How on earth could the whole of Australia operate on one time zone?

One way to do it would be to have the highest population area stay as is, [east coast, 80% of population] and then central and western time zones fit in with the east? You blokes in Perth would be going to work in the dark and it wouldn't get light for an hour? As if you lot would want to do that?

See ya's.

Sorry TC - clearly I wasn't being very clear. The natural time difference between WA and east coast is 2 hours. With DST in NSW and no DST in WA this unnecessarily becomes 3 hours currently. I am merely advocating that the decision to use DST or not should be made on a national rather than State by State basis so the time differences across the country aren't made any worse than they need to be (ie no worse than 2 hours). Not that we should all be on the same time zone - there is an international standard for time zones for good reason!

It will probably take us 50 years though to get to that level of sanity though...

I love daylight savings! It's nice to come home from work with some remaining sunshine and go for a walk along the beach.

We aren't the only country who has it, but maybe the biggest whingers. America seems to survive with a three hour time difference between east and west, but maybe that's why they're broke. :)

I love daylight savings! It's nice to come home from work with some remaining sunshine and go for a walk along the beach.
OMG! We're back on topic!

I enjoy daylight saving too. It's lovely to see the sunshine outside while you're watching the evening news.

Bigblu... you can't wake up who pretends to sleep.

I often work with weather data. Definitely the weather patterns are changing to drier. Now I don't know if that is due to climate change or not.

changing to drier compared to when? a week ago? a year ago? 100 years ago? thousand years ago?

We aren't the only country who has it, but maybe the biggest whingers. America seems to survive with a three hour time difference between east and west, but maybe that's why they're broke. :)

and what stops you from doing it without DST?
just start work earlier and come home earlier

I enjoy daylight saving too. It's lovely to see the sunshine outside while you're watching the evening news.

But we already have this in Queensland without moving our clocks. Y'all do realise it is light fairly well into the evening here, don't you? :)

But we already have this in Queensland without moving our clocks. Y'all do realise it is light fairly well into the evening here, don't you? :)

It's light outside, it's 7:15PM, and I'm watching ABC News. Perhaps you're thinking of commercial news? ;-)

As well as daylight saving, the further away from the equator, the longer the summer days and winter nights. In England it was still possible to read a newspaper at 10PM in summer; one rarely went home after work in daylight in winter.

O dear, Wylie, have you been outside of Qld in Summer?

It is pitch dark now (7:12pm) but I recall having an afternoon nap in Tassie during January, waking up and trying to order a pizza at 9:00 pm. The shop was trying to close but we thought it was only 7:30.

Another Summer I was house-sitting in January in Perth. It was still daylight and 30 plus degree heat at 8:00 pm.

All very confusing ....

While I was away, none of our curtains faded.

O dear, Wylie, have you been outside of Qld in Summer?

It is pitch dark now (7:12pm) but I recall having an afternoon nap in Tassie during January, waking up and trying to order a pizza at 9:00 pm. The shop was trying to close but we thought it was only 7:30.

Another Summer I was house-sitting in January in Perth. It was still daylight and 30 plus degree heat at 8:00 pm.

All very confusing ....

While I was away, none of our curtains faded.

LOL. Yes. I thought it quite strange in London that it was still light after 9pm :p.

I know that one thing I also didn't like during the trial was they were home from school at what was really 2pm, on a Brisbane summer day wanting to play in the yard. Stinking hot, and one more hour of sun per day to work on their future skin cancers...

We never have been much for curtains... just as well hey?

I often work with weather data. Definitely the weather patterns are changing to drier. Now I don't know if that is due to climate change or not.
Doesn't the weather changing to drier mean the Climate is changing?

This would imply Climate Change is a normal occurrence?

Amazingly though; back in 2007 we had nearly empty dams....drier., and Tim Flanno did his little speech.

Then, it got wet and the dams filled....wetter.

Now, it's drier again?

Where's the pattern?

Sorry guys; I'm with TC on this.

He's on the land and is in personal touch with weather for his livelihood.

I grew up in the Riverina back in the 70's....huge farming region and as dry as a chip most years.

It's all about the same, really.

Agree, nothing better than getting home at 6pm and the sun is still shining, still time to go for a walk or do the gardening in the sunshine. For some reason I feel like it gives me more time to stop and smell the roses, in winter I feel like once I get home my night is over, this time of year I feel like it's just begun.

My personal view on this is that there are a lot of sensible things we can do today at very minimal cost to do our bit to reduce the risk without trashing the economy. We are starting down this track already - electricity consumption is decreasing while our economy keeps growing, there are well over a million houses in Australia now with solar panels on their roofs, all new buildings are being insulated to a better level etc etc.
When I hear these sorts of statements, it reminds me of two things I know:

1. When I worked in the Frangers ICU for those three years, I got to see the absolutely humongous consumption of both water and electricity on a daily basis - just my little one shift per day - is more than my house would consume in probably one year.

2. The guy who built our pool commented on the domestic usage of water for pools across Aus - is but a mere drop in the ocean compared to the business sector annually.

Now; ya gotta admit; this is a scary disparity.

On a home front, we can do the feel good things as much as we like, and it amounts to bugger-all.

That's if any of this CO2 garbage actually exists; and it doesn't because of what we reckon we do.

But, go for it.

I try to save water and electricity etc at home and work only because it might save me some hip pocket pain.

Back to Daylight Savings; it's great. The kids can get outside in the daylight for much longer, the golfers can play for longer, the tennis players, the cyclists...........everyone.

Who wants to live in a world that gets dark just after school finishes, or before many folk even get home from work after their commute?

The dairy farmers don't like it of course.

This sums daylight savings up for me:

A few years ago I used to work on St Kilda Road, Melbourne and would walk to South Yarra Station every night through Fawkner Park. Every day throughout summer there'd be literally hundreds of people running, walking their dogs, sitting around, kicking the footy or soccerball and playing organised games of mixed softball until late at night, then literally the Monday after daylight savings finished I walked through the park at 6:00pm and it was dead, a couple of people walking to the train station and that was it.

This sums daylight savings up for me:

A few years ago I used to work on St Kilda Road, Melbourne and would walk to South Yarra Station every night through Fawkner Park. Every day throughout summer there'd be literally hundreds of people running, walking their dogs, sitting around, kicking the footy or soccerball and playing organised games of mixed softball until late at night, then literally the Monday after daylight savings finished I walked through the park at 6:00pm and it was dead, a couple of people walking to the train station and that was it.

Is that a fair comparison though? If daylight saving went for 12 months, wouldn't those people out in the park doing stuff in Melbourne eventually not bother a few weeks later as the days get shorter and colder and wetter anyway?

You've probably summed up why you like it and Queenslanders don't. Queensland is dry and warmer in winter, so they'd probably still be out and about in winter when it was too cold and wet anyway in Melbourne. And in summer they'd rather use the cooler morning time to go for a walk or run or swim or surf, and before it starts flogging down rain in the wet summer storm season?

See ya's.

Is that a fair comparison though? If daylight saving went for 12 months, wouldn't those people out in the park doing stuff in Melbourne eventually not bother a few weeks later as the days get shorter and colder and wetter anyway?

You've probably summed up why you like it and Queenslanders don't. Queensland is dry and warmer in winter, so they'd probably still be out and about in winter when it was too cold and wet anyway in Melbourne. And in summer they'd rather use the cooler morning time to go for a walk or run or swim or surf, and before it starts flogging down rain in the wet summer storm season?

See ya's.

Yeah fair comment, it has a lot to do with the weather but I just hate getting home in the dark for 6 months of the year, would prefer to have daylight savings all year round. I cant say I've lived in QLD so don't know the culture up there but we love it in Vic.

Daylight savings makes less sense in regions closer to the equator (like Queensland) since the summer days are much shorter, so extending the evening can adversely affect the morning so people go to work/school in the dark.

Brisbane would be ok (days are only 1 hour shorter than southern Australia, or 2 to 5 hours shorter than Europe) but could be a problem in Cairns.

Back