Daylight saving in QLD Please

WA doesn't have it either, which is annoying. Mostly when trying to do business with the east and being 3 hrs time difference. That's essentially half a business day.

I'd vote for no where to have it over WA having it. It's pointless. The clock displaying a different time makes no difference whatsoever to the amount of time in your day. It's a zero sum pointless exercise.

I heard that they don't have it in Queensland so that the "nights" are cooler earlier (according to the clock) and more conducive to a night's sleep.

Saying that - bring it on in NSW! So over the sun coming up at 5.30am

Some QLDers I know say they don't want daylight saving because they can do stuff in the mornings before it gets too hot?

I like it anyway, and like Lizzie have had enough of it being light at 5.30. However I wouldn't want it extended either, it's just right how it is now.

See ya's.

Daylight saving is rubbish! Boo hoo the sun comes up early! Make the most of an earlier, longer day by going for a nice walk before work instead of trying to change the clocks! Its nature!

pinkboy

I remember in a previous life when WA was trailing it. I was living in Gero and it really buggered me up. I used to be able to dive or surf before work. But the hour later sunrise meant I didn't have time. I just agreed with work to start 1hr later (so really just the normal time). It was good because I got the best of both worlds. The early morning light if I wanted it. Or the late afternoon sun if I chose.

Perth people just don't know how to adjust to it to make it work. They try to continue living the same way and can't understand the change. Just like everything else I guess.

Blacky

But if QLD has daylight savings, how will the cows know when to be milked, and the curtains will fade

Oh please... can't anyone think of a better one liner than that old chestnut ;).

I hated it when we trialled it. My children didn't go to sleep until 9am or later. I was absolutely stuffed by the end of it. Didn't matter what we tried, whether we blocked out their windows, their little body clocks just never quite worked it out, and subsequently, neither did ours.

It wouldn't bother me now they are grown, but I've always thought it strange how Sydney businesses insist that Brisbane must change to suit them... but you don't hear Sydney banging on about Perth changing their clocks, or Melbourne. (Perth isn't on the same time, but they don't seem to be bagged out like we do up here. And Melbourne is a different time, isn't it?)

Really... will the sky fall if Queensland toughs it out for another year? :D

(...And Melbourne is a different time, isn't it?)

Really... will the sky fall if Queensland toughs it out for another year? :D

You're right Wylie, Melbourne is on a different time to Sydney, about 5 years ahead of Brisbane. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, in the era of global warming, it makes sense to start work when it is cooler and to leave earlier in the afternoon thus avoiding running the a/c for the extra time. Yes, kids are thrown by dst at the start but if you force their bedtime, they will eventually drop off to sleep.

I just find that I have to mow the lawn more often during dst as it gets an extra hour of daylight (but I have trained it that it only needs a tidy up once or twice between May and September).

Seriously though, in the era of global warming, it makes sense to start work when it is cooler and to leave earlier in the afternoon thus avoiding running the a/c for the extra time.

We do that already in Brisbane. The sun shines here until until way into the night.

Yes, kids are thrown by dst at the start but if you force their bedtime, they will eventually drop off to sleep.

I wish you'd been around to tell my three kids that :rolleyes:.

I just find it amusing that so many people's lives seem to hinge on Queensland changing their clocks. People who need to phone Sydney at opening time can go to work early. It works for my neighbour.

I still don't understand day light savings. I woke up "9:56am" thinking I had slept in. Then realised it was still 8:56am in yesterday's terms!!

I would rather go with no daylight savings. I mean I prefer this summer times vs how dark it gets in winters too soon in the day.

Seriously though, in the era of global warming, it makes sense to start work when it is cooler and to leave earlier in the afternoon thus avoiding running the a/c for the extra time. Yes, kids are thrown by dst at the start but if you force their bedtime, they will eventually drop off to sleep.
the world's temp hasn't gone up in the last 15 years.

That's why they (the Global Warming zealots) changed it to "Climate Change".

I just find that I have to mow the lawn more often during dst as it gets an extra hour of daylight (but I have trained it that it only needs a tidy up once or twice between May and September).
This is a joke, I hope?

Whether the clock says 5am, or 9am is irrelevant.

The sun rises and sets the same amount of time each day. Birds have no idea about clocks - they start chirping when it's light, and nod off when it's dark, and so on.

It's only us humans that worry about clocks.

The factors determining the rate of growth of grass involve more than just extra hours of daylight than say; July.

Ground temp, rainfall, air temp - all might have a little bit to do with the mower getting a workout, I'd wager.

Most cooch grass blends (very common on golf courses these days) rely on a ground temp of about 21 degrees before it starts to grow.

A bit of a p!55take Bayview.

My grass stays pretty much dormant for 4 months of the year - so no mowing.

You've got my other point precisely wrt the animals, it is only conservative human nature that can't see the benefit of utilising the sun by starting earlier. Who cares if dawn is 4am or 5am, it is dawn that the cows get milked not 4am in DST.

the world's temp hasn't gone up in the last 15 years.

That's why they (the Global Warming zealots) changed it to "Climate Change".

This is a joke, I hope?

'Global warming' and 'climate change' are different!

'Global warming' is the temperature increase due to additional greenhouse gases released to the environment. It is the long-term trend of a rising average global temperature.

Whereas, the 'Climate change', is a result from the 'Global warming' such as longer and more frequent droughts or heat waves.

I still don't understand day light savings. I woke up "9:56am" thinking I had slept in. Then realised it was still 8:56am in yesterday's terms!!

I would rather go with no daylight savings. I mean I prefer this summer times vs how dark it gets in winters too soon in the day.

Half the day gone sleeping in MsAli! :eek:

pinkboy

'Global warming' is the temperature increase due to additional greenhouse gases released to the environment. It is the long-term trend of a rising average global temperature.

Whereas, the 'Climate change', is a result from the 'Global warming' such as longer and more frequent droughts or heat waves.
By green house gasses, you mean CO2 I suspect. I think you'll find that as the temperature increases, then the CO2 increases as a result. Not the other way around. Which means the whole human caused increased CO2 levels argument is flawed.

I've yet to see a definitive pattern of Climate Change.

You only have to look up stats like hottest day for XYZ, or coldest day for XYZ, or wettest day, or driest week and so on and so on...

There is absolutely no pattern in whether it rains for a week when it shouldn't, or whatever, or whenever.

Some of those stats of worst, and most, and least, etc happened a hundred years ago - not anytime recent.

Just this week alone we have had a day in the pool, and then a couple of days later we had a roof blown off a house not far from ours, and had to cop torrential rain and four layers of clothes all day.....climate change indeed.

Now; in my 52 years - that's about normal for Spring in Melb.

It'll be snowing next week, and then someone will get sunburned the next day.

Ya just gotta let go of this.

They sacked Tim Flannery...what does that tell you?

He stood there on National tv in about 2007 or 08 or whenever it was and told us point blank we would never get rainfall to fill up the dams again, and so on.

Last edited:

And both are fictional concepts

no thanks, we'll be rite without it

here is a novel idea, if you want to get up earlier, just set your alarm for earlier. no need to drag the rest of state with you

Back